Question about Marans genetics. Serious issue with pics.

organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Trafalgar, IN
I'm going to make this short and to the point. I bought some FBCM hatching eggs for a good amount of money and was given a bonus egg a blue Marans. Only three hatched and they all have severe leakage problems. They were sold as FBCM. So my question is this leakage problem common? If so I don't think I will EVER try to get Marans again. These chickens are going to go to a home for free to someone who is not going to use them in a breeding program (hopefully my Aunt). I'm a little upset because the cock has white feathers on his shanks, wings, and tail feathers(BC). The BC pullet has the same issue only very sparse feathering on her shanks, the Blue has brown feathers on her shanks and white wing, shank, and tail feathers. If this isn't common I'm wondering what the odds are that all of my chicks have these horrible issues.

Can this be a problem for other people that have bought the eggs before me. This persons chickens are beautiful and this person is so kind and caring. I really like this person I will not drop names I will only post pictures and hope that some FBCM owners and breeders enlighten me. I would love to breed Marans to improve the breed but you have to start some where and this is not how I want to start.

Thanks for the input, if there is any!
big_smile.png

BC pullet's wing
DSCN0619.JPG

BC pullets shanks
DSCN0620.JPG

Blue pullet's wing
DSCN0621.JPG

Blue Pullet's shank (2 pictures bad quality for some reason)
DSCN0622.JPG

DSCN0623.JPG

BC cock's wing
DSCN0624.JPG

BC cock's shank
DSCN0625.JPG

Also I'm thinking that the color of the shanks are wrong. The cock also has a lot of copper coloring on the breast.

Thanks for looking!
Hope someone could ease my pain
sad.png

Hi! I'm so sorry about your hatch!

White feathers are NOT common in black copper or blue Marans. Occasionally, you will get some white feathers (usually near the tail), but this is considered a flaw.

Shank feathering can vary, and light feathering is preferred. That one pullet could use a few more feathers, though.

Overall, I'd say you have a right to be disappointed with these birds. I wouldn't use them in a breeding program, but maybe they will lay someone some pretty eggs.

Don't give up on Marans, though! They are a great breed. There are several people here on BYC that offer hatching eggs.

You might try posting this on the Marans thread. You'll get plenty of comments, and probably some good leads for more hatching eggs!

I'm not a Marans person but I think the chick feather should be excused for the moment, until they get a bit older and start getting in more adult plumage. The French missing the required feathering on the shanks though, that won't change.

I guess if it were me, I'd go back to the seller and ask them what went wrong. Be nice, just state your concerns in a non-confrontational way. If the seller cares about the quality of stock produced from their hatching eggs, they should certainly be able to relate to your concerns.

the white feathers you show are baby feathers and usually after the first molt at about 4-5 month will disapear. the Marans are not a heavy feathered foot chicken. I will say the one is a little shy on foot feathering. Overall I do not see a problem.

I was so disappointed with so many aspects of my Marans that I gave up on them. It seemed to me that someone with more patience and knowlege about culling needed to be breeding these birds. I think they are a pretty big project even with very good birds. I kept a few hens for dark eggs but have decided to not worry at all about breeding them.

I give great kudos to those with committment to stick with these birds, it just didnt seem to be the breed for me.

As for your birds stay with them until they are at least six months old as you really have no idea what you have just yet.

They do have white on them as chicks. It goes away as they get adult feathers. They also get their red/coppering as they mature, and you really don't know how much they really have until about 6 months (which is a long time to keep extra roosters around
roll.png
)

Back
Top Bottom