Question about Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crj, Sep 17, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have a couple of questions about black and blue chickens. Mainly Marans. I have 2 FBCM hens and one rooster. Months later I bought 3 Black Marans and 2 Blue. Ok, the Black Marans...... are they Black "Copper" Marans or just "Black" Marans? The 3 I have do not have an copper feathering around the neck. They do have the green iridescent color in the feathers like the FBCM. How do I know for sure other then egg laying that they are not another type bird like the Austrolorp? Same with the Blue Marans. I've seen other birds in the blue color and it was a different breed.

Just questions I'd like to know. Wondering how you would tell the difference if you didn't know the breed. Make sense?

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    How old are the roos in question? Can you post some pics? You also might try posting the pics on the Marans thread.

3. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The french Marans have feathered feet. It is also likely your black are BC that have no copper in the neck. It is also possible they are just Black but not likely.

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    The french Marans have feathered feet.

Yes, that I know. I have 2 hens and a rooster.

How old are the roos in question?

I really want to know about the hens. They are completely black with no copper anywhere not even around the neck. The blues are really pretty. They are just blue. Here are pictures of them at about 9 or 10 weeks. They are a bit older now. I will try and get better pictures tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture below is my rooster.
    [​IMG]

5. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    Shouldn't Marans have white legs?

6. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    No way of telling what the pullets are unless you can ask who bred them. The BC male has what is called a straw neck.

7. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:None of these should have white legs.

8. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    What color legs should they have?

9. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    The pullets could be Black and Blue Jersey Giants. Look and see what color the botton of their feet are

10. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    The pullets could be Black and Blue Jersey Giants.

I was wondering that. Never thought the bottom of there feet meant anything. There legs are black on the black birds and the blues have.......... well...... blue legs. The woman we bought them from showed us the dark eggs that they came from. I just thought it odd that Other birds look exactly a like to my untrained Maran chicken eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by