question about mating with older hens and younger hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarheelmama7914, Aug 28, 2010.

1. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    I wasn't sure where to put this as I don't see another area related to this... Our roosters have been mating with our 2 yr old hens that have all but quit laying in the last month. Does this mean they are still capable of laying eggs if the roosters are interested? Our roosters are also mating with our 30 week old hens that have never layed... What does that mean?

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    It means he is doing his job! Hens will lay for years. At two, their eggs are going to be larger, they just will not lay a many of them as the first year, but they are still in their prime..I prefer when my hens reach the 2 yr. age old mark.

3. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    any other ideas as far as what it means for the hens?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It means nothing for the hens. [​IMG] Roosters will mate with just about anything on two legs, from young pullets close to laying age to old biddies. It's just biological for the roosters (well...and maybe dominance related too).
    For the hens it's nothing. It does mean that eggs could be fertile, whether old hen or young.

5. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    oh well. I was hoping it ment maybe they would start laying eggs again.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ohhhh...nope. I mean your girls probably will lay again, just not as often as you'd like. But no, a rooster means nothing when it comes to egg production...only reproduction. [​IMG] Now for young girls who haven't started laying yet, it can mean that they're close to laying age, but has nothing to do with how well they'll lay.

Your older girls aren't molting are they?? Egg production will often stop when molting happens.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It means your hens are being tormented once again by those horny roosters. If they had their choice, they would probably choose to live without the roosters. Roosters are not needed for egg production, and over mating by too many roosters can hinder egg production. Your older hens will lay once again, and I am surprised that your 30 month old hens are not laying. Just noticed that you have 6 hens and 4 roosters. WAY too many roosters. Give your hens a break and get rid of 3 of the roosters. A far better ratio would be a minimum of 10 hens to 1 rooster. With that many roosters, there must be continuous turmoil and stress in the henhouse.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by