1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cadbury22, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Cadbury22

Cadbury22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    Hello, everyone!! I have a quick question. I bought some mealworms for my small flock of three chickens. About how many a day should I give out??? A few handfuls? They are free range and fed regular layer feed. They are about a year old. Thanks!!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

I do not think you need to worry about feeding too many. Feed as many as you wish. My wife makes chicken bread with freeze dried mealworms and the chickens love it. I give live mealworms as a treat when I am handling them. And it is great fun to watch my week old chicks chase each other trying to get what the other has.

3. Cadbury22

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much for replying!!! Metalwork bread sounds delicious (for a chicken) What a funny idea!! Sometimes I worry too much.

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Most of us do.

My latest chicks who absolutely love mealworms.

[​IMG]

5. Cadbury22

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    Wow! Those are the most adorable chicks! Reminds me of when my chickens were that small!

6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

Yes. Small they are. 12 grams each when they hatched. Serama bantams. The mother is a whopping 11 ounces.

I feed my birds a wide variety of foods and treats. No food should be fed to the point that the birds don't get the right nutrition.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cadbury22

Feb 15, 2016
    North Carolina
    I thought they were very small! Thanks for the advice, and the pictures.very cute chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by