Question about method

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HEChicken, Nov 17, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I was in TSC this afternoon and looked at a "how-to" book for slaughtering all types of animals. Curious as to what they might suggest, I flipped to the poultry section, where they showed a two-step method. Step One was similar to Joel Salatin's method - hang the bird, and slice across the throat. But then the book suggested a Step Two, which was to take the knife, look for a groove in the back of the mouth and push up through the mouth into the brain. It went on to say that when you hear a squawk, you're done. I have never heard of this before and am wondering if this is a well-known/used method by BYC'ers. The reason they gave for doing it is that it relaxes the muscles, making plucking easy. I am a vegetarian because I don't like the inhumane way commercial animals are treated, but am looking forward to chicken dinner provided by my own backyard roosters, because I can have peace of mind that they have had good lives free-ranging my backyard and were killed humanely. But Step Two sounds less humane to me than just letting them bleed out and lose consciousness. The squawk would tend to indicate the bird is aware and feeling this, even if death does follow immediately afterward. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of or tried this and what they thought of the method?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The squawk is when the brain is severed from the spinal cord, it's a muscle contraction.

Steve in NC

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    pithing is actually supposed to be more humane when done correctly. I pith and usually get it right, not always. It is never an easy thing to do, but you do what you gotta do.
    The feathers really do pluck easier when you pith the bird.
    BTW when you slice the throat, the bird is going to flop around. Be prepared for that. I find when pithed the bird flops less. Look up the post if you are considering it and learn how to do it. There is a trick to getting the right place.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks - that word wasn't mentioned in the book but I do recall hearing it.

HorseFeatherz NV - that link isn't working - was it to another post about pithing? I can probably do a search for it....

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:I am sorry - not sure why but works for me (maybe cause I did it while signed in?)

I just used the search in the blue bar - put in pithing and had it search titles only in meat birds.

7. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a pretty well known method, but I don't think too many people bother with doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by