Question about Meyer Hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by timbermallard7, Jul 19, 2008.

1. timbermallard7

timbermallard7 New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    I was wondering what kinds of experiences people have had ordering from Meyer. I have already placed an order, and my seven BA's, four SLW's, and two BO's are hatching out on August 11 and they said I should get them on the 12 or 13. I'm in hopes that they arrive on the 12th and are all in good shape. I'm in West TN, and it will be the 1st time in about 15 years I've ordered any chicks, as a manner of fact its been so long I can't remember who I ordered from last time. Any experiences people can share will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
    timbermallard7

2. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    I don't have personal experience, but from what I've heard they do great business.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FLOCK!

3. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I love Meyer. They have great customer service and their birds are healthy.

4. timbermallard7

timbermallard7 New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    Thanks for the responses but there's not a lot of positive experiences, at least not as many as I thought there would be anyway. That tends to worry me just a bit, so I hope to get a few more positive and hopefully no negative.

Thanks, timbermallard7

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    There's only one way to find out.Most people can have 15 great orders but the one they remember is the 1 bad one.There hasn't been alot of bad reports of them, so don't sweat it. will

6. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I have ordered from them twice. I got nice healthy chicks. I am in Colorado so they traveled a long way. I believe I lost one in shipment of first order and none from my last shipment. I ordered last year but none this year.

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I've ordered from them as has Marlinchaser. They are fabulous.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks like they are done with orders for the year. Everything on their site says they are not available for back orders. Maybe next year.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:No I talked to them last week. Their site is being redesigned and can't backorder
    items on it. You have to call. Last year they ran a lot of great specials in the fall.

10. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We have relied on Meyer for meeting the needs of our Feed Store this year. They have been wonderful to work with and their chicks have performed very nicely.

We had a small batch slaughtered this past week by a local Amish processor. She stated that our birds (Meyer Cornish X) were much easier to butcher than the birds they purchase from one of our competitors.

We plan to work with them again next year and I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for chicks.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by