Question about MG (respiratory infections)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brimjohnson, Jan 1, 2013.

1. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I recently added another hen to my flock a couple weeks ago. She seemed totally fine at first but I noticed yesterday one of her eyes was bubbly so I've been treating her with tylan 50 for the last couple days. I've never had this issue but everything I read said it is probably a chronic respiratory infection of "MG" and that even if I treat her and save her life she will always be a "carrier". What does that mean? What does is mean for my other girls? Does that mean even after she is treated and is all better she will always get everyone else sick? Does is mean she will only pass it on to chicks if she ever had any? Do people cull hens that get this? And if so why? thank you

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It means that yes she can pass it to the others, and in times of stress the respiratory problem might pop up again in her. Yes some people choose to cull these hens/roosters for the protection of the other chickens, but I have a friend who had a chicken with that problem and it has never popped up again and she didn't cull the hen. The hen is healthy and alive to this day. The choice is up to you.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She could have gotten the disease from your birds too. A lot of people have low virulence strains of MG in their own flock and the birds are basically immune to it and when you bring another bird into the coop it is not used to the "germs" on your property and can get sick. It happens both ways: new bird clean, gets sick- new bird sick, gets your birds sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by