1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question About Miss Prissy's Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deb1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    We are on day 18 and both my hubby and I would like to know if we should turn off the fan in the incubator. Is it supposed to remain on? This might be a silly question but I am having difficulty getting my humidity up and was curious if the fan could be a factor.

2. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    I left mine on until well after they hatched and it seemed to dry them out very well. It regulates the heat in the bator so you are ok. BTW, I tried three different bators recently and the miss prissy model worked better than two very expensive models. Good luck withyour hatch and be sure to post pics:)

P.S
    What breeds reyou hatching?

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Leave it on all the time.

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup leave it going.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:You can put a wet sponge in the bator to bring up the humidity !!! I have to use 2 of them to get up to 60-65 !!!! After the first chick hatches it should go up also !!!! Good luck !!!

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Nope, leave the fan on... use a sponge, or folded up papertowel, to bring up the humidity. I've found that using a folded up papertowel, propped up in a small yogurt container or 8 oz ball jar so that part of it is in front of the fan helps keep the humidity up. You may have to replace the water more often, but the fan helps keep the temp/humidity constant throughout the entire incubator/hatcher... i.e. you don't get hot-spots or cool-spots in the 'bator. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

7. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Thank you all! I do wonder if there is something wrong with the gauge that is supposed to read my humidity as it says only 40% and there was condesation on my incubator's window. There hasn't been condensation before.

I don't know the breed of chicks because I got the eggs from a woman with a variety of chickens. They were free and you can't beat free.[​IMG] If the eggs, for some reason, don't hatch, I can try again and learn from the mistakes I made with these eggs.

I have a dish of water but I will try the sponges also.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yes...your gauge is wrong. At the time of condensation the humidity is usually at 70% or above. Lower it to around 60%. It doesn't need to be quite that high.

9. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Thank you! I will get to the store tonight and try and purchase a new gauge. To make certain that it wasn't working, I placed the probe part of the gauge over a glass of very hot, steaming water and it read that the humidity was dropping. So, I am pretty certain that my problem is my gauge.

This first hatching has been a learning experience for my whole family.

10. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by