Question about misting duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jimlas, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jimlas

jimlas Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Hi There,
    I am on day 14 with Kahki Cambell duck eggs. I just started misting tonight as I read that this might help draw out some of the moisture in the egg, which is my goal because I do not feel that the air cell is getting very large at this point. I also took out all water out of the incubator to lower the humidity.
    I was wondering if I am suppose to lightly mist, or heavily mist the eggs. The humidity shot up to 52% after I put the eggs back into the incubator.

I have 18 eggs in there and they all seem to be growing really well except the air cell being to small. I am hoping that by correcting the levels and misting that this will get them back on track??
    Any help would be great, thanks!

2. jimlas

May 17, 2011
    Anybody??

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I believe that you should NOT mist if your air cells are too small and if you do so, do only once in the evening and then take them OUT of the incubator to LIGHTLY mist and cool them and then replace in the bator.... here is a good explanation.... ignore some as it is for scovy//// Does your incubator have a fan?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

4. jimlas

May 17, 2011
    This one does. I am setting eggs in another next week that doesn't

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    ok well see what you think from that article on misting and cooling, I am thinking this way they have time to dry before replace in the bator and air cells will reduce... keep a close eye that they dont loose too much fast either! Good luck with your hatch!!

6. jimlas

May 17, 2011
    Well, I always added water right off the bat, and the cells would never get big. I am on day 15 right now. Is it to late for them or is there a chance they will survive if I don't mist and keep water out of the bator??? I sure hope I have not killed them. They all look fine in their shells except the air cell being to small.
    Thanks so much

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    You have plenty of time yet! Dont panic, I think you caught them soon enough!! [​IMG]

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't incubate myself, I let the hens do it. You may want to post in the duck section as many there do incubate.

9. jimlas

May 17, 2011
    Oh thank you so much. I have hope now :eek:)
    I loved your article, and your babies were beautiful.

I will definitely check out the duck section, thanks

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by