1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about mite under microscope

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by realsis, Jan 21, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    [​IMG]
    Is this the northern foul mite? Please help me identify this awful creature. As you all know I've been battling lice and mites brought in from my new bird that was shipped to me. Today I decided to look under my microscope at these nasty creatures.this is my first time having any mites as my flock has never had them until now..I took a picture of the nasty under my scope in hopes someone could clearly identify the species of this mite. I suspect northern foul mite but would like a conformation on that from you as I'm not very familiar with mites..I know there are different species. Such as bird mite red mite northern foul mite ect. . Can anyone positively confirm the species of this nasty creature? ? Thank you kindly. I'm still battling but I'm making progress as they are no longer congergated on the body of my birds however I still have some on their crests. Thank you for helping.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a nightmare with legs to me. :(

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes but I am curious about the species? Can someone help me identify?? Can you believe someone would ship a bird full of these! !!! UGH!! But it will help me treat if I can confirm the species. What do YOU think? ? Any help appreciated.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thank you !!so you think it is the northern foul mite? I was thinking it might be but wasn't too sure. What a nightmare!! I'm so upset they shipped her with a infestation!! That's just so wrong. She could have at the very least told me about the infestation..! I never imagined that someone would send a bird that way! !

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    They say the red mite lives mostly off the bird and these nasty creatures live ON my bird so I suppose that rules out the red mite.. I guess it's either the bird mite or northern foul mite.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It definetly looks more like a mite than a louse.

-Kathy

9. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes she had lice as well but luckily those are all dead now. I agree it's a mite. I'm guessing it's the northern foul mite..poor baby. Can't wait till they are gone!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The lice are gone but mites aren't?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by