Question about mites and elector psp

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NHUH, May 19, 2019.

1. NHUH

NHUH Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    For the chicken keepers knowing and having experience with elector psp:

It is said everywhere to spray your chickens in specific areas (vent etc) or all over their skin. I was thinking why not to dip them in a bath? I only have a few chickens and it wouldn’t be that costly, since psp is very concentrated.

Anyone any idea why I can’t find info on that or if you think this would be safe?
    (My chickens are friendly and do not flap around when I bathe them.)

Thank you

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I love Elector! Dipping is one of the most effective methods of treating lice and mites on a chicken. As long as the day is warm, they can air dry after you blot most of the liquid off their feathers with an absorbent bath towel.

I mix up a couple gallons of the Elector and use the same bath for all the chickens. No need to do a new one for each, especially if you only have a few.

A tip: using a bath towel warm right out of the dryer will blot up more liquid and make the chicken feel oh so cozy after being dunked.

Trux, CLSranch and NHUH like this.
  3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I bathe my birds for shows. I did have a mite infestation in a coop and did bathe the birds using flea shampoo from that coop. I did use the same tub of water. It did get rid of a lot of the mites but not all. I sprayed all of the coops thoroughly with permethrin spray. I did it weekly at first and did get rid of the mites. I have around 200 birds.
    2014-10-23 16.06.07.jpg IMG_20151022_133205.jpg

CLSranch, azygous, Trux and 2 others like this.
  4. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Dipping is a great idea! You can also strain the water afterwards and put it in a sprayer and use that to spray the inside of the coop to get rid of the mites in their living area.

5. NHUH

NHUH Chirping

Sep 26, 2018

Thank you, thank you!!! That’s exactly what I want to do. And the warm bath towel tip is great.

Willowspirit and SurferchickinSB like this.
  6. NHUH

NHUH Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Oh yes, straining, so smart. Thank you

7. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    HA! Chicken Burrito!!:gig:lau

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Taxachusetts
    I dip too but I use diluted permethrin. Spray the coop with a different dilution.

9. NHUH

NHUH Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Here is another question, since you guys seem very experienced and helpful: Our wooden coop is fairly small (5x5) but consists of many multiple pieces connecting to each other. I started taking some smaller pieces apart and noticed the mites (very likely northern fowl), hiding in areas where wood meets wood, screw holes, wood knots etc., even in the plastic pieces of the automatic door opener. There are so so many of these little areas and I can’t take apart all of it. Since the elector psp is water based, I am very worried that it won’t penetrate those areas and I won’t be able to get rid of them all and the problem will just start over again. At this point I am ok with getting rid of the coop and investing in a new one if I have to.

Did you guys experience mites repopulating because a 100% clean up isn’t possible? Or is the spray so good that it will magically clean them in hidden spot ;) ?

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  10. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    You don’t have to actually spray the
    mite. Elector PSP will work because as the mites come out at night they will walk over the wood that has been treated and then that will kill them. Once you dip your girls, if I was you, I would just spray the inside of the coop every couple weeks until there is nothing left of them mites.

Sequel and NHUH like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: