Question about mites and lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, May 8, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I just noticed that my chickens have lice today. There were eggs attached at the end of the feathers near the vent, and some off white quick moving bugs crawling around. I think a couple of my girls might have mites as well but I'm not sure. There is some feather loss, pasty butts, and a few of them have soft warm undercarriages. This is a new thing for me. I was able to get a hold of a store that sold me some permethrin, and I dusted the girls as well as the bedding in the coop. My question has to do with the soft, mushy, warm underside of my chickens. Is that related to the lice/mites or do I have even more problems going on with them. They have all been acting normal, same egg production...the only one who isn't quite herself is our Cochin who had what looked like a tick embedded in her neck a month ago. I put a bleach solution on her per a friend's advice, and the thing shriveled up and disappeared but she still doesn't have all her neck feathers (I did notice the other chickens pulling at her neck feathers today). She also has spent more time sitting inside the coop the last couple of days. I have 10 girls. 8 of them are just about a year old, 1 of them is about 15 months old, and the last one is 3 years old.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    I've dealt with lice and never had warm squishy bottoms [​IMG]

3. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Just discovered lice on a couple of my chickens yesterday when examining a couple bald spots. No squishy spots though, so I'm not sure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by