Question about mixing new and old...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bikerchick, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bikerchick

bikerchick New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    Texas
    Last year, I bought my first chicks (2) to see how I would feel about this whole BYC thing. LOVE IT! I lost one girl to a renegade dog and have since built a better coop. One month ago, I acquired four more pullets and kept them and the brooder in the house. Well, they decided last night at midnight to have a party and they didn't invite me! The noise was unreal! I am ready to put them out in the coop with my lone hen, but not sure if there is an "age appropriate" time. All five girls had a play date, and only one of the pullets seemed to challenge the hen. No blood was drawn, but I did not leave them together for very long. Is it safe to leave them together overnight? I've got to get some sleep!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ear plugs - it is too early for them to be without heat. [​IMG] Also, the integration period should start with being visible but seperated from each other for a couple weeks, THEN start the play dates. They will still do the whole pecking order thing, but it will be muuch less severe.

I feel your pain, and I am serious - ear plugs.

3. bikerchick

bikerchick New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    Texas
    You'd laugh if I told you I brought my big bird into the house when it got real cold. And I live near Dallas, so real cold really isn't! The integration information is what I was really after. I have two different yards set up, both totally enclosed, so I can put the birds side by side.

Unfortunately, ear plugs are not an option for me. I am on call 24/7 and cannot afford to miss that page.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Bummer! In our hen house, we built a smaller brooder type house that we put the chicks in for the get to know you period. It works great as jail for broody birds when not in use for chicks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by