Question about Molting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pmheishman, Nov 23, 2013.

1. pmheishman

pmheishman New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    We plan on getting Rhode Island Red laying hens in the Spring, which will be our first attempt at having backyard chickens. My question is about the molting process. If I buy, say 6 laying hens, and then 6 months later, buy 6 more laying hens, will the chickens go through the molting process at the same time? I was wondering if the the ages of the hens are different, then perhaps we would continue to get eggs if the chickens molt at different times.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Having hens of a staggered age may help. Age along with daylength, stressors all have an impact on molting and egg production.

3. pmheishman

pmheishman New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    Thanks!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Usually pullets (especially of commercial egg layers like sex links or white leghorns) will lay through their first winter and molt their second. A lot of people stagger their flock by thirds like you say, getting 1/3 new chicks every spring with the assumption that those will lay through the winter while the older ones are molting, and culling the oldest 1/3 when they quit laying in the fall.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] Kelsie is correct. As we experienced last year, our new pullets did not molt, but the hens that were over a year old did.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by