1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about moving birds to the outside coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by capebird, Jun 10, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I've read that the chicks should stay inside in the brooder until
    all of their feathers come out... about 6 -8 weeks (as a general rule,
    more or less). This is my first batch of chicks. My 5 barred rocks are going on 4 weeks
    old. The outside coop is ready and the run also ready... in fact I've been
    putting them out in their run all during the day for the past week.... and then
    bring them back inside in the late afternoon. The temps around here have been
    in the 70s - 80s during the day.... and maybe 50s to 60s in the evening.

My question is.... if there were a light bulb in the coop, same as inside their
    brooder (so the temps were the same, more or less).... is there reason that
    they couldn't go out to the coop for good. Anyone ever put their chicks
    outside in the coop before they get all their feathers?

Thanks for the help.
    Pict of the girls in their outside run attached.

[​IMG]

2. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    We put our 12 chicks outside @ 4 weeks old in NC, that was 5 weeks ago. They were fine with their lamp.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At five weeks, they can handle 50 degrees.

and BTW... they are beautiful!

4. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Thanks!!

5. sonally

sonally Out Of The Brooder

Hello Cape cod chickens! North Central Mass, here. Your barred rocks look like mine did last week. Our coop is not quite finished, but if it were, we would have them outside! We have eight chickens (2 barred rocs, 2 Doms, 2 Buff Orp and 2 Golden Comets) We figure they will keep each other warm at night when we finally get them outside, Hopefully by next weekend, they will be 6 weeks by then. You are a bit warmer down there, so I would go for it, with the bulb for warmth ! Post pics of your coop and run..... I'd love to see it [​IMG] before we finish ours! Ally

6. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Hi Sonally,

picts of my coop and run attached. Good luck with your
    coop build and thanks for the reply. Good luck with your chicks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Hey, PERFECT attachment of the hardware cloth!

Put 'em out! They will love it as long as the night temps don't drop below 50 all should be well.

Heck, even that probably won't hurt them.

8. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Thanks BoltonChicken. We have raccoons, opossum, fox and other critters here
    so I want to make sure the girls are safe. I buried the wire down around a foot and
    also laid out a sheet of wire about 6 inches under the dirt floor of the run. I guess it's
    about as safe as could be.... my first time doing this....so it's all a learning experience.
    It has been a lot of fun though. Can't wait for those eggs!!

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in TN...I put mine in an outside brooder last week. Some were a week old, some almost two weeks. It's been in the 90s in the daytime...at night, I have a 250 watt heat lamp. They can get out of the rain, and the run is covered so there is shade, with a strip of sun across the front of it. They've been out there over a week and I lost none of them.

10. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My 3 and a half week olds lost the heat lamp last night. They all huddled down in their boot box sat there looking up in question and then went right to sleep. They are in the garage in AK. down to the 40s at night mid 50s and breezy during the day, I keep the door open so it is the same as being outside. I close it at night. Everyone has mentioned how quick they have been to feather up. I figure it is like horses, when they get cold they grow a coat. There are 11 of them now as 5 went to their new home. I hope to have them outside full time by mid week next week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by