Question about Muscovy APA color interpretation for Fair...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sred98, Aug 18, 2010.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ok...so the fair accepts Muscovies in White, Chocolate, Black, and Blue...does this include pied and barred? I am new to ducks, so I don't know if those are separate colors or just variations of a color.

And, if it does mean solid, if my girl is black with a white streak at each eye, is that pied, or is pied white on the rest of the body.

Also, how old is an old drake? Is that older than a year, or what? This is so different than chickens! LOL!

Thanks so much for the help!

Shelly

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The would probably accept a Barred bird because barred is a pattern & the bird can be Barred & still Solid.
    If i remember right, Muscovies to be shown are only allowed to have 10% white on them and it's preferred that it be on their wings (the white wing patches). Pied birds probably aren't accepted for show.

How old are your girls? If they're still young, the white stripe at each eye could be where their Caruncles are coming in, those feathers usually turn white before they fall out when the caruncles form. I have no idea on the old drake thing though, i hope someone comes along with the answer!

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply! One is solid black except for the eye streaks and another has a ring around her neck. The others are definitely pied. They are about 5 months old. They all have the little pinkish caruncles at the top of the beak. I can't tell if they are going to get more, or not.

Shelly

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:do you have an APA book or standard, most judges follow it. if you don't have one i can look it up on mine for you. old drake is over a year, its like hen and pullet

disqualifications "Plumage more than 10% white,except as desired in wing bow and bar." from the APA also if bird is under a year their might not be any white

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by