Question about my 2 week old delaware chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by adyhart1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. adyhart1

adyhart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    ok this may be a silly question but i have been looking for an answer since my babies hatched. I got my eggs off of ebay and they hatched wonderfully! out of 12 eggs i got 8 beautiful healthy dels... now my only question is i have 2 very yellow (now getting pretty white feathers) and 6 almost all black chicks ( small white areas in around faces and a small creamy yellow chest) I am confused as to how these "delawares" are black? I know that i've read some can have black spots but i haven't seen anywhere that they can be almost all black... Am i just a silly newbie to these delaware that i dont understand???? I know they are crossed between new hampshire red and barred rocks or columbian rocks... can someone enlighten me i have this "ive been had" feeling [​IMG]

2. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    oh i forgot to add a big part of it.... i think they are black astroulops (hope i spelled it right) I emailed the lady after they hatched asking her why there was such a difference in color and she said that she had delawares and black astroloups and they were kept seperate and could not have mixed and assured me mine were delawares.... if she gave me some astroloups i'm not going to be super happy bc i wanted all delawares... and in item description it never said anything about astroulops

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Black chicks are NOT Delawares. ALL Dels are yellow chicks. She mixed them up, apparently. See the rooster in my avatar? Trust me, I know.

4. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    yeah i had a feeling she did... thats why i emailed here when they hatched lol she assured me that they were delawares!!! but they are not... i just emailed her again yesterday still waiting for reply... would i be in the right to ask for more DELAWARE eggs, money back or should i just let it be.... I'm not usually one to do that but i was really set on my delawares!!!! I have a small flock of RIR but i built a big new beautiful pen for my delawares.... depressed now [​IMG]

5. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    here are some pictures of the culprits....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Those are Australorps, for sure. Did you send her pictures of the chicks? If not, I would. Or tell her you talked to a Delaware breeder and you have confirmation that she gave you the wrong eggs.

I know they are crossed between new hampshire red and barred rocks or columbian rocks... can someone enlighten me i have this "ive been had" feeling idunno

No, they were an unexpected result from a NH and BR breeding and the breeder took them and cultivated the Delaware, but not Columbian Rocks. Some hatcheries bred those into their lines and pretty much ruined them, but a Delaware should never look like a Columbian Rock....or an Australorp, LOL.​

7. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    thanks speck. I knew something was just not right! when i had done my research about the delawares i saw they could have black streaks on the back or heads... but not all black!! lol And now i have to find these guys a home! I love my little delawares they are so funny! When i stick my hand in the brooder pen they run right up to me to investigate! the others run like cowards! I talked to the lady and she is sending me more eggs this week. She was very nice and completely professional... dont see that much anymore

8. speckledhen

All's well that ends well! Yes, you're seeing the difference in Delawares and some other breeds. They are the bravest ones of all, completely fearless and in your face. They're personality-plus!

9. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    lol love it!![​IMG]

10. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Yep, those are black Australorps..She must have collected from wrong pens. They will have a whitish grey sole to thier foot or pinkish being so young..
    And speck is right, if thats not what you ordered then you need to tell her.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by