Question about my baby goats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by toddntiff, Sep 10, 2008.

1. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    So, we got two 3-month old nigerian dwarf goats this past week, from 2 different breeders. We got the first one a few days earlier as she wasn't very people friendly and needed to spend some quality time with us, then we got the second one. Well...we have them both and as long as I am outside with them, they are fine, happy to wander the yard, eat, explore, etc. But, as soon as I go inside they cry for me until I come back outside. I've kenneled them in my garage for the past 2 nights because I don't want my neighbors to hate me for the noise and they will cry for about 4 minutes (I timed them tonight) and then they are quiet until I let them out in the morning. So, my question is...how do I help them adjust to outside and sleeping in their house outdoors vs. the garage? Do I need to put a door on their house and put them to bed each night until they are use to it like with the kennel?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated! I would love to not have to be the matron of this herd and let these babies bond to each other!

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    First, congrats on your new babies!

Second, you can't anthropomorphize (spelled that wrong, I'm sure, LOL) them. They are goats, and they'll try to convince you they're humans!

Yes, you should just put them in their barn, where home will be here on out, and let them get used to it. Perhaps you can grain them as you're leaving to give them a distraction...

Your goats will always complain when you leave them. Ours live close enough to the house to be able to see us in the windows first thing every morning, and start telling us to come see them before we've had our coffee! They complain when we leave to go inside, too, unless they've just been fed (food, ah, the ultimate comfort).

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree with Kate there...goats are master manipulators and will try everything. They love repetition also and if they get into a habit its hard to break. Mine are right outside my back door and everytime I go out or turn on the kitchen light they holler. The babies are really bad at this also. Just put them where they will be staying and feed them there also. Most of the time sneaking out dont work but sometimes it does. They will eventually quieten down till they see you again. Try this during the daytime by putting them out there and leaving them alone to see if it helps. You want them to love you but dont spend huge amounts of time with them as they will beging to thik your Momma or Daddy and cry till you come back. They need to learn a routine also. They do well with it. Good luck and Congrats as Goats are GREAT!

4. toddntiff

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    So I was hoping to find the "cure-all" but I guess there isn't one! They have been outside since 7 this morning (it's 9:45am now) and the noise has been very subtle and more like talking than full on whining. They seem to do better when the dogs are outside with them and they can chat through the fence at them!
    They are the cutest things, but I think that they do think I'm momma so I need to spend less time with them so they can learn to LOVE each other!!

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    My goats are as annoying as all get out!
    They can see us in the house during the day and scream and cry and carry on. The second you open the door, they are yelling and carrying on like you can not believe! I am embarrassed to say I have tried to sneak out of the house without them seeing me on many occasions. Last night alone, they carried on for an hour because they wanted fed NOW

6. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    congrats on ur babies!
    ive raised goats for 11 years. they will yell when u leave. and they will yell when u walk to them... when u leave they are wanting food,,, when u step outside and see them they will yell because, still, they want food.

goats are glutton animals and their goal in life is to eat.. lol

if u have chickens. make sure the goats cant get near the food, or it will all get eatin.

just feed the goats before u go in for the night. they are goats. not puppies. lol. they will be fine in the barn they are sopose to be in.

i have some that will hop right into the trailer and go to the park, leash trained, all have collars, and even one named zeek will ride in my pickup truck with me. so they are all spoiled and babied.

but im just letting u know they will be fine. goats are awful! lol.

at the age u stated, they are old enough to not want "mommy". its good that u have two and not just one. if u had just one and it was doing this i would say to get another one. but since u have two. they are fine. they have eachother. just get use to the bellaring. they will always do it.

(thats the good thing about sheep, they are usually quieter.. )

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I love goats! They DEMAND attention.

I also have 2 ND's (Nigerian Dwarfs) who are now five months old. Oh my goodness, the first couple of days when I brought them home (they were 8 weeks old) they cried lots and lots. Mine weren't afraid of people but wouldn't let me touch them either. I spent time every day with them, just sitting out there talking to them. One of them decided she wanted me to pet her after only about 5 days, the other took almost two weeks. Once they gave in... ha! ha! ha! - they were mine!! Even though they didn't want me touching them at first, they still bawled up a storm every time I left. (silly goats [​IMG]) I had to 'steel' my heart and just keep walking away.

Now, they start yelling as soon as they see me and don't stop until I'm out of sight. It's just a goat thing. I know they are fine so I no longer want to cry. [​IMG] The little twits are sooo cute and adorable and personable.

Let yours work through it, they'll be fine.

Oh, someone mentioned giving them grain. Personally, I wouldn't give young goats grain (or only as an occasional treat) and if they are wethers you really don't want them to have it very often. Just good quality alfalfa or grass/alfalfa hay right now. Make sure they have access to free choice goat minerals (loose is better than the blocks) and baking soda. They will take what they need of those. They also need fresh, clean water every day.

Have fun with them. I can't imagine not having them now. They are also addictive, like chickens, I now have two Alpines that I'm milking everyday. Love the fresh goats milk!

8. toddntiff

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    So glad I'm not alone in this goat world! Tonight will be the first night I leave them outside in their own house and not the garage! I will be a nervous momma that's for sure! I'll update my blog later today with pictures, there are a few of our set up so feel free to check!
    http://creativemomma.blogspot.com

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I went through the exact same situation. When I left, I gave them a branch from their faorite tree, then while they ate, I walked away, yes, they cried, but they got used to it. Now I have had them for 5 months, and they still cry when I leave them [​IMG]

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Alright, call me selfish - I just got on this site to look for cute lil baby goat pics. And what do I find? Useful exchanges of important knowledge, information and wisdom? Pshaw!

Any pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by