Question about my BO's first day laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redfeathers, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    One of my 24 week old BO's laid her first egg either last night or early this morning, it was broken, very thin shelled and a mess to clean up. I just found her in a different nesting box laying on a golf ball. Is she going to lay again already or is she just practicing? She has been on the nest for over an hour. I took out the ball and she pecked my hand fairly hard. It's too soon to go broody isn't it? I know I shouldn't assume that's what she is doing, but it seems like all she is doing is just laying there. I only have one other hen laying, she started two weeks ago and I'm used to how she does it. She makes her nest in about half an hour, goes in and pops out the egg and goes about her day. So, what's up with the BO just sitting in there?

Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

Edited to add, I know first timers can lay a soft egg...she has oyster shell available and gets protein, layer pellets, free range time and all the good things she needs.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Probably wondering what the heck just happened and if she's gonna have to go through that again!

3. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I don't have a lot of experience, but my two BO's have been laying regularly for about 2 1/2 months now and it still takes them quite a while, like over an hour sometimes to lay, either that or they just like sitting in the box.

This afternoon I checked for eggs and found Shuffles in the nest box. I then went and completely pruned 1 apple tree (no small feat) and cut a bunch of pussy willows. It took me close to 2 hours. When I was walking back up to the house I heard a lot of bawgakking and it was her, just coming out of the coop.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  4. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I think that sometimes hens just like to sit on the nest and contemplate their universe. And sometimes I imagine them in little rocking chairs, humming a tune and knitting little booties. They do sing, you know. And who knows just what a chicken is thinking about, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by