Question about my Brinsea Octagon 20

Lil'ChickFarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
I just set it up to test it out. I have some eggs coming on Saturday, so I need to be ready.
I thought it came with a hydrometer. It doesn't appear to have anything on it that measures humidity.
Am I missing something?
What type do you all use in yours? I need to get one ASAP! Thanks.

No, it doesn't come with one. Nothing in the advertising for it suggests that it does.

However, a small hygrometer, digital type, can be purchased for as little as $8. Although listed on the website, the local Wally World did not have them.

Our house stays pretty constant at around 40-50% humidity, which is plenty good for the first 18 days. I've been pretty cautious about adding a whole lot of water until the final hatching period. Then, I'll fill the grooves with water and may ever add a small, thin sponge, laying it right under the egg rack. It fits nicely down there.

If your house runs a desert like 20% humidity, then I would advise some water from day 1.

Last edited:
My house is close to 50 percent and I was concerned that it was high.
Also I see that it is 102 degrees in there. WHAT? It is supposed to be set at 99.5......

In reading the directions that come with the machine, you will see how to adjust the temperature. Using a tiny screwdriver, a jeweler's type screwdriver, rotate the adjusting knob counter clockwise to lower the setting.

Make 1/4 turn adjustments. Wait for the machine to stabilize. This takes at least a half an hour. Continue making small, 1/4 turn adjustments until the temp is right where you want it. Personally, I like it to almost touch the 100 degree mark.

Last edited:
Thanks Fred. That is what I figured. I was just disappointed that it didn't come set at what it is supposed to be.
Spent all this money and thought I was getting something that you set up and use, lol.

Ok turned it one quarter turn counter clockwise. Thank goodness I have a couple days here before the eggs come home. They are local silkie eggs and I am so excited. My last silkie eggs all died in the egg in my LG bator, so this has to be a success for my heart. :)

Back
Top Bottom