1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about my candled egg

Discussion in 'Geese' started by psue, Feb 25, 2012.

1. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

Embden day 16. This is my first hatch the other 2 eggs have a swimmer and easy to see veins. But this one has that dark spot[​IMG] if you slowly rotate the egg it always comes to the top and the air cell is growing but is there a baby in there????

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    That is the day 16 pic? Seems to me like it quit.

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    In the absence of supporting blood vessels, the free moving dark spot and the pale yellow area below the air cell it suggests the embryo has died at about 8-9 days - sorry to hear that.

4. psue

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks guys, I still have 2 eggs from the first batch of 8 then.. and I got a short video of one of them moving the other night. 2nd batch of 8 is looking text book to Pete's artical. I'm so glad you put that together Pete, thank you!!!

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Best of luck on your eggs!! Be sure to follow the tips as laid out by Pete and you should have some beautiful babies very soon: mark air cell lines with pencil to show evaporation rate; daily cool/mist; don't bump humidity for lockdown until internally pipped, etc. And... keep that humidity down!!

6. psue

Feb 12, 2012
    I'm trying but i'm useing an LG and it keeps getting the humidity too high but if I run it dry it's at 20% [​IMG] isnt that too low?
    and next time I WILL have a scale.

on a seperate note (wrong thread) how do you like your cayuga and ancona ducks? I'm thinking of getting ducks can't decide on a breed [​IMG]

7. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Hey Sue, I use an LG still air. I only put a little water in the front tray... and would allow it to do dry before adding more. In my climate, it resulted in 35% humidity.

I love them both! The cayugas seem more "pet-like" but the anconas are sweet things too. The funny thing is the cayuga is the breed my husband picked (I prefer anconas), but I wound up taking two from his first hatch because I love them so.... and then he turned around and claimed two of my babies from the ancona hatch earlier this week.

8. psue

Feb 12, 2012
    Hubby put a computer fan in mine... but a little water and it goes 50 to 60 % no water and it's 20 something....

Thanks for the duck infomation.... it's soooo hard to chose. I want cute and fairly quiet... he wants meat and eggs..
    I want to help an endangered breed.... he wants to eat everything,lol
    If I had more land I'd have 6 of everything[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by