Question about my chick....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brandytab, May 13, 2009.

1. brandytab

brandytab Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Hi folks!

I have this chick who happens to be named BC (or, buttcheek, per my 5 year old daughter). Anyhoo... BC is definitely the oddball. When I first got BC home a couple of weeks ago his/her eye was half open/half shut. Over the last couple of weeks, it's gone from completely closed to half open - back and forth. I've been using terramycin gel and it hasn't seemed to be helping. Currently the eye is completely shut. No swelling, no redness, just plain crusty and shut. To top it off, BC's developed a crossbeak.

So I have healthy chicks in the brooder and this little one-eyed-cross-beak chick. BC's as big as or bigger than the others, very cuddly and active and bossy with the other chicks.

Any ideas on the eyeball and any ideas as to whether or not the eating/pecking order will change if I keep BC in with the flock. BC is a buff orp. So far, we just let chickie be and keep watch on the eye, but I'm not sure if we need to do something else to keep BC doing well and the other chicks doing well.

Thanks!
    Brandy

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I don't think I can help you but will bump you up to see if any one else can [​IMG]

3. brandytab

brandytab Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks [​IMG]

I keep being told to cull him. I don't think I can do it! It would be nice if there was another option.

4. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    if BC is functioning just fine with this oddity then let it be i would just not use it for breeding in the future if it doesn't correct in time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by