Question about my Crested Polish girl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2mnypets, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Alright, we have four Crested Polish Chickens. However, "Lemon Drop" has 5 toes on each foot and her legs are white. The other 3 Crested Polish have almost green legs like Ameracauna's and have only 4 toes per leg. Is there another breed that resembles the Crested but have the 5 toes and whiter legs? Here's a pic of "Lemon Drop" and my 3 other Crested Polish in order of names...."Rootbeer", "Butterscotch" and "Monica". Poor Monica is a roo but my youngest refuses to allow us to change his name. Go figure [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Weird. Mottled Houdans are crested and have five toes with light colored legs. But she doesn't look mottled...

I like the name Butterscotch. [​IMG]

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    My blue polish have light slate colored legs that almost look white. Might be possible that Lemondrop is a Sultan cross of some kind as they have 5 toes, but I don't see any other features that look Sultan on her.

She's an interesting color, how old is she?

4. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Lemondrop was born May 30th so she and the rest of the second brood are just 2 months old. I had ordered White Crested Black Polish and somehow ended up with a straight run of assorted crested. At least that's how the paperwork that came with them stated. She's really sweet and it's just really funny that it took me this long to figure out that she had different colored legs and an extra set of toes.

5. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    She doesn't have a muff or beard does she? It doesn't look it in the photo. Sorry she has my curiousity up...what color was she as a chick?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  6. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    No she doesn't have any muffs or beard. She was yellow and black as a little one....hence the name from my girls....Lemondrop. This latest group of chicks were what we ordered after much deliberation. We are very happy with them.

7. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    She sounds like a white crest black chick then, but she looks very blue in the front..maybe a really dark blue instead of black? Interesting the lighter colored legs, but I also remember someone else on here that had one with light legs and her chick had had them since birth and they staying that way.

I would love to see if she stays the two tone body color after her first molt. She's a pretty girl and interesting.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  8. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    In order of your pictures you have a Mottled, Golden, buff laced and then a silver laced. Mottled birds can take 2 years to fully color. The golden appears to not have lacing or very little, the buff laced also, the silver laced looks very good. The Mottled hen may get a slight beard and muff eventually since I haven't seen any hatcheries selling Mottled polish and with 5 toes I would suspect she is indeed a Houdan. Very cute ladies all in all. Enjoy [​IMG]

9. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Now you have me really wondering about her coloring as well. As many pics as I take of the chickens, my Kodak Easy Share Program is soooooo full. I will definitely keep everyone updated. They were all so tiny just a short time ago. Here's some pictures of Lemondrop when she was just a little bitty ol thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Mottled birds can take 2 years to fully color

Is that why she is so two toned now?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by