Question about my first time hatching chickens with my students!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lizp8, Jun 7, 2011.

1. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Hello everyone! [​IMG] This is my first time hatching chicken eggs. My first grade students and I are learning about life cycles and one of the cycles we are learning about is chickens, so I decided it would be beneficial for them to see the process. We are very excited as today is day 15 of incubation! Some of my students and I noticed that a couple of the lighter eggs have dark spots all over them (they look like they are coming from the inside). Is this normal? Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you!

~Liz

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh gosh yes!!!! Eggs come speckled, green, blue, pink, chocolate brown, tan... All sorts of colors. I encourage you to do all your research PRIOR to starting the process, so you are able to provide your students with good and valid inforation. Too many times I see teachers here halfway through a hatch asking questions that should have been asked WAY before setting the eggs.

Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I am also a teacher.... PLEASE make sure there are homes already lined up for these babies... and you have the brooder set up with the correct temperatures.
    Do you know what breeds you are hatching?

4. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks! I did do research but I could not find anything about this for some reason. I know what they look like on the inside but I was just checking from the outside. Actually, the students did some research themselves, we have a science kit about different life cycles as well.

I do have homes lined up. If they fall through, I have family members who live in PA and have farms, so I can always take them up there if need be. I'm not sure on their types, the website I ordered from gave me a "mix." So far everything seems to be going as planned, I just thought I would double check with some others who have experience with this. I am very nervous and excited as well.

[​IMG]

5. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Have you candled? Everything look okay?
    Glad to see you have homes lined up... so many don't unfortunately.

6. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    I have not candled. I'm not quite sure I understand that part so I have been nervous to mess them up! And I made sure to ask multiple people about homes before I started. I don't want anything to happen to them! My grandfather used to incubate and raise ducks and quails when I was very young, so I definitely have respect for all forms of life [​IMG]

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I have never hatched eggs, so I don't have any answers, just more questions.
    Are they dark spots on the shell, like the shell turning a different color during incubation, or more like a dark droplet of something seeping out of the egg?
    I would give a smell test to the eggs in question just to be sure.
    I would sure hate to have an egg blow up in that incubator, especially in a classroom. [​IMG]

Good luck with your project. [​IMG]

8. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Maybe if you have some time (like teachers have time [​IMG] )... peruse the incubation threads and see if there is anything...
    There is so much on humidity/temps vs incubators, etc.... maybe something might pop up there if no one has an answer here.
    Wish I could help, but I don't know... good luck and hope you and the kids get what they need out of the lessons you are teaching. There is always so much they can learn from this experience.

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    There is an excellent page on candeling with really good pictures here on BYC.
    I'll see if I can find it for you.

I don't know how to link to another thread but go to the search button and look for: "Egg candling Pics" by silkiechicken in this same Forum

The one you want is *CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation by silkiechicken.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  10. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone! There isn't anything seeping out and they don't smell bad. Since it is day 15, I would think they would smell by now if that were the case. I guess only time will tell!! There are about 6 days left before they should begin hatching. Unfortunately, my grandfather is no longer living or I would just ask him! I'm pretty confident that we will have some baby chicks soon and I certainly believe it is a great experience for my students, especially since I teach in Baltimore City and many of them are not exposed to farm life. I will try to keep everyone posted!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by