Question about my girls-

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newducklady11, Jul 31, 2014.

1. newducklady11

newducklady11 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    PNW
    Hello! My girl Cayuga has always been a loud quacker. I didn't know if it was her personality or...? I'm not sure...my other girl (welsh harlequin) hardly ever quacks but she peeps. They are the same age. Thanks!!

2. mightymax

mightymax Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Are you positive that your Welsh Harlequin is a female? I'm asking because, as I'm sure you already know, male ducks are not nearly as loud as females. In fact, except for some low volume quacking, my males have always been practically mute when compared to the females who tend to be LOUD !!! Also, males don't really 'quack' in the familiar sense. Their sound could be perceived by some to be a 'peep', so I'd take another look at her/his vent if I were you...just to be sure!!! Either way, you'll definitely know for certain when (or if) they start laying eggs...lol !!! Good Luck!

3. newducklady11

Jul 23, 2014
    PNW
    @mightymax yes I'm 99.9% sure my welsh harlequin is a female. She has always been the quiet follower type then there's my Cayuga who has always been daring and loud haha..thanks you! And yes the laying of the eggs will help a lot :)

4. newducklady11

Jul 23, 2014
    PNW
    @mightymax here is my welsh harlequin [​IMG]

5. mightymax

mightymax Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I do believe your right on the money in thinking your Harlequin is a girl! Those tail feathers look to be as straight as a board, no curly-Q there! So unless she's a late bloomer, I'd bet the farm she's a female too! Regarding the quacking vs. peeping, I'd just chalk that up to their individual personalities. Or maybe the quieter one doesn't have much to say and the other one is just a loudmouth (there's always one in every crowd)...lol!!! Ducks are sooo much fun and so very entertaining!!! Enjoy!!!

6. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    She looks just like my four Welsh girls. I have two fairly quiet ones and two incredibly loud ones.
    Two talk when they are happy, bossy, scared, etc... the other two only quack once in a while.

I would also chalk it up to differing personalities.

7. newducklady11

Jul 23, 2014
    PNW
    @mightymax @Sfraker thank you both! Yes, they have very different personalities. They are very interesting! Thanks again, enjoy your ducks as well :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: