question about my hatching eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chubbydog811, Dec 24, 2008.

1. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    so i posted this question in someone else's post, but im impatient and want an answer sooner!

i have 3 eggs that have pipped their shell already today...1st at 12am, next at 4am, and last at 9am (roughly). they have only gotten as far as pipping their shell though...i do hear them peep ocasionally, so at least one or more are alive, but is there anything i should worried about if they arent going any farther? would i need to poke a bigger hole in the egg, or....instert what i need to do here....?

this is going to (hopefully) be my first successful hatch, so i have no clue what to expect...any information/advice would be awesome!

ill try to get some pictures posted also...

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It can take up to 24 hours from when the chicks start pipping the shells til they zip out of the eggs. They are resting, absorbing the rest of their yolk sac and learning to breathe on their own. They usually know what they are doing!!

Patience!!! No need to open the bator that causes more eggs not to hatch then you can imagine!

3. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    thanks! thats very good to know! i wasnt sure how long it was supposed to take...i would hate to lose these little chicks! these little guys have been through alot...i thought i lost them in the second week of incubation - when that huge ice storm came through a few weeks ago, our power went out, and was out for a day and a half..i figured i would let them set a few days after it came back on just for fun, even though i had no hope of them being alive. but sure enough, all of them were still kicking and squirming in their eggs! im not sure how it happend, but im happy about it!

i wasnt planning on opening the incubator..i havent had much luck as it is!

the first batch i set werent fertile...then i lost my last 7 eggs because i took the turner out and lost all of the hot air- our house is usually around 55-60ish degrees in the winter....
    i was smart this time and took out most of the rows of cups, so i only had to set them down, not take out the turner....

anyway, thanks again! [​IMG]

here are pics of 2 of the pipped eggs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    one more question...is it bad if they arent peeping much (if at all)? they were going like crazy all morning (hence why i knew one pipped at 4am), but after about 10am they stopped, and it was only occasional, if at all....do they stop when they are resting and getting ready to come out of their shell? or is that a bad sign?

yet again, im new at hatching my own, so i have no idea! [​IMG]

i checked in on them a few minutes ago, and there is still only the initial pip...no more cracks, or anything...

...i think im still worrying too much

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm working on my first hatch to! So I keep coming to this thread to see what people are saying. Hope you have a good hatch!

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Like Tuffoldhen said it could take up to 24 hrs for them to fully hatch !! Somtimes the first to pip are the last to hatch (they like to drive us nuts)

Is today day 21 for them ? Whats your humitidy at ?

If you lost power for a little while they could be late hatching, just keep that in mind... Give them time !! You might not hear them peeping as much b/c they are resting getting ready for there big break out of the shell !!

Also if you dont mind me asking where in NH are you ?

What a pretty horse you have there whats her name ?

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Oppps also wanted to say..... [​IMG]

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:FIRST!
    DO NOT TOUCH THE BATOR!!!
    Make sure your humidity is high, like 70%ish.
    Do NOT try to open the eggs, they will do it all by themselves. It takes HOURS for an egg to hatch sometimes.
    PATIENCE will pay off in the end
    Christina

9. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Takes a lot of energy to squeeze outta that egg!!! Sometimes I tap on the bator, or talk to the babies, encouraging them [​IMG] Not sure if it works or not, but they usually peep back [​IMG]
    Hugs and good luck
    Christina
    [​IMG]

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    The white egg is pipped at the wrong end so keep an eye on it. Most times they hatch without any problems but if the others hatch fine and it still hasnt hatched it might not be able to rotate and zip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by