Question About my Indian Runner Ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, Mar 11, 2012.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    I've not been on in a LOOONG time! Sorry guys I've just been busy with school and spring time preparations. Well I have duck eggs hatching in 4 days (super excited) but none of them are Indian Runner! My little Cali never laid any and I really never got a chance to observe them to see if there was anything wrong because they weren't free range. I recently put all the ducks back together as of i don't need more eggs and I noticed that she fends off male advances... I've only seen two drakes fend off each other like than and I got to thinking, maybe she's a he or she's gender confused? Do you know what the problem could be and would getting a couple more females help?

Thanks,
    Robbie :D

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    No answer for you (I'm obviously missing something because I'm not clear on your set up) just bumping it up so someone else may be of more help.

So far, I understand Cali has never laid an egg? But, you can't be certain because you don't free-range them or observe them?

Is it Cali who is gender confused, or, maybe you? By that I mean: Does s/he have a curl in the tail feather? (= male) Does s/he give a loud "quack"? (= female) or a quieter rasping sort of quack (= male). How old is s/he? How many ducks do you have? Advice on whether to add more females depends on how many ducks you have and the current male/female ratio. Are they all runners?

Good luck with your hatching in 3 days time!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You can not go wrong with adding more ;)

Pictures? Maybe someone can help you determine sex.

4. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    She shows all the classic girly things. Female quack, no tail curl, even girly bits (yes I checked :/) Her and her mate both are 10 months old, they were in there coop until just 2 weeks ago when I put them all ttogether but still no eggs. I have 10 ducks all together 4 rouen, 4 pekin and 2 Indian Runners. In the whole group there are 3 males 1 pekin 1 rouen and 1 runner, they all get along because they have so much room to free range. I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by