Question about My Lonely Isbar Hatchling...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HugHess, Oct 18, 2014.

1. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    [​IMG]

Out of 14 shipped eggs this baby was the only one to make it to lock down! Thank God 'she' hatched.
    So here is my question...
    I do have other eggs in bator, but they are not due for a couple few more days... I need/want confirmation that it would, indeed, be wise to become her surrogate sibling while we both wait to see what happens with locked down eggs. She hatched this afternoon and was a somewhat 'hot' mess. Sticky-ish with assisted hatch as she started to look shrink wrapped after long period with no progress.
    Shouldn't I get her out to stimulate her with some type of interaction, v. leaving her to herself?
    All feedback will be much appreciated as I am new to single hatchling and want her to be properly intergrated into human family, so she isn't adversely affected as well as just in case the rest of the eggs decide to do like her siblings did and not show up to the party...

[​IMG]

I am IN love and want to do the best I can. My insecurity as a chick Mom is getting me to crazyland on an express flight. Help :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    If the chick is dry, take it out of the incubator and put it in the brooder. It doesn't need t eat for 48 hours. It will draw the yolk back into its bell and use that for food during this time. Just give the chick water and put some fine chick grit on the brooder floor. I always put poultry Nutri-Drench on my chicks' water for the 1st month of life. It's a great nutritional supplement. Doesn't need to be digested. Mainlines into the bloodstream. 50% uptake in 30 minutes. 99% utilization. Thse Bovidr Labs products are very well made. here is an article I wrote about using them for combating stress in chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
    I use either the Poultry Nutri-Drench or the Goat Nutri-Drench or the Pet Nutri-Drop formulas. But I always use the usage and dosage instructions for the poultry formula. That's one drop only by mouth for chicks. Then 1-2 ml per quart waterer. I get mine at Tractor Supply Company for about 6.99 for the 4 oz. Poultry or 9.99 for the larger Goat formula. That's plenty for the whole season for your chicks.
    Best Regards,
    Karen

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Definitely be a companion for your chick until the new babies arrive. I crocheted a little pouch that I can wear around my neck when I have a lonely chick, that way I can carry it with me while I work around the house and yard. When I can't take it with me (like to work), I leave the radio playing so that it feels less alone.

4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS

Thank you 'PC'... I ended up wrapping a hand towel around her and placed her in the crook of my neck while laid out watching tv. I put a stuffed dog in with her last night and placed it in such a way that kept her from flopping supine and rolling around trying to right herself...it worked because when i got up this morning she was relatively right as rain !! I don't have a crochet pouch, but my ancient fanny pack has definitely been useful for things like this. Glad I never threw that gift out!
    I always either leave on a tv, talk radio, or classical music if i can't be at home...so i am in your camp on that one. The other eggs are starting to pip today, ahead of schedule, so hopefully it will not be too too long before she has some step-sisters and brothers to keep her strong and happy! ( Hopefully way more sisters, lol! )
    I was afraid that I wouldn't keep her warm enough keeping her out with me...you know?
    My biggest fear was that I would stress her out more if she had to work harder to maintain her internal temp.
    I won't put her alone in a brooder when she can be in with the other unhatched chicks, which I am sure she could hear since they internally pipped yesterday...and hopefully her cheeping will instigate them to hatch in a more timely manner. They are more than a full day ahead of schedule and internally started pipping not long after she hatched, so...? I am bumping up the temp in my room now so I can bring her out for a little while before the 'action' really gets underway...
    Thank you for your response, I sincerely appreciate it...

5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS

Thank you 3Rivers...

I have both Save-a-Chick and NutriDrench on hand and will start that tomorrow morning. I didn't want to place her in the brooder alone as it is in another part of the house...and would 'feel' more isolated without other chicks. I think I did the right thing because her fellow chicks are peeping along with her while they begin their journey to the 'new' world. I am off to research your article, that I appreciate you linked for me. She will hang out with me for a little while before others start zipping and I will have to see how that goes before I figure out what I will have to do next.
    Thank you for your response...you all immensely help in keeping me from any long term issues with insanity while worrying over fuzz butts!

6. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Yeah, chilling is always a concern when I have the chicks out with me. That's why I had on a sweater and a coat the other day despite it not being that chilly, so that I could tuck the pouch close to my skin and keep the chick warm with my body heat. The locals thought I was more than a little weird, walking around town with a chicken in my shirt, but it's way too late for me to worry about being weird now!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by