Question about my Muscovy Mama and her eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklover77, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Chirping

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Hello I really need help on what to do with my muscovy mama. She has been on her eggs for 2 months and where she decide to lay her eggs I can't really get to. What should I do about her not leaving her eggs because obviously her eggs are not going to hatch poor thing comes to eat if I'm lucky once a week. Do I need to remove the eggs from the nest? I'm a new duck Mom so any help would be so appreciated thank you so much.

casportpony likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Do you have a drake? Are these potentially fertile? The process of forming an clutch and than incubating for 35 days can be months. Are you certain on the day she began setting?

You definitely should remove old eggs carefully as they can explode if they are rotten. Just be sure there's no risk that they are close to hatching.

3. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Chirping

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Yes there are lots of Drakes some are mine and some are wild in the neighborhood but I seen her laying eggs then I remember seeing her get mounted I hope that's the proper terms I'm new, and she went right to her clutch and it was April 9 and she has stayed on them since. Now the last few days I haven't seen her and I'm getting worried because she is around the side of the pond where the grass is really high and I'm afraid to go in because of snakes and other girls like to lay their eggs in there also. Those aren't mine but I don't want to chance getting attacked or stepping on their eggs. I just don't know what to do she looks so skinny and not looking very healthy either. I just want to cry

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    So sorry. :hugs Your best chance is to try to catch her and pen her where you can be sure she is eating. When I used to let my muscovy just take off with just hatched ducklings they would often lose them all, so now I confine them that first week, and make sure I can have access to the nest while they set.

I use a fishing net when dealing with a aggressive muscovy.

If you cannot get to her than there is nothing you can do from afar. A muscovy hen will break from being broody after she looses too much weight. I haven't had one set so long that she died.

5. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Chirping

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Ok so I'm going to have to go in the area and just deal with it. I thank you so much for your help I was so afraid she died from the heat it's been so hot here and I usually see her running to get food at some point of the day usually the evening. But there's been so many Drakes at my house that are not mine I'm starting to think she's staying away because of that's reason too. Again thank you you've been a huge help :)

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm terrified of snakes too, so I understand. I would just send my husband in. Maybe you can find someone to help you.

7. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Chirping

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    He's just as scared as I am we will have to teamwork this :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: