Question about my new chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gwill23, May 24, 2010.

1. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    I have some new chicks this weekend. Looking at the pics on BYC I am pretty sure that the black ones are Plymouth Rocks. I was expecting this because some of the eggs were form those mothers. As I looked all but one have the white spot on their heads except one. Should all Plymouth Rocks have this white spot or is that just a majority and not the rest. I have 4 now and one doesn't have the white spot. The reason I ask is because I also have a black nacked necked turken in my flock. I am not sure she contributed an egg but Just the difference made me think that maybe I have one from her. Here is a picture. It isn't the best I can try to get a better one if it helps but I thought someone would know about the white spot on the head.

[​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Are they pure BRs? Were they're mother And father BRs?

3. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Plymouth Rock mom, RIR.

4. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    If the father is A RIR, and the Mother is a Barred Rock, then the babies are sexlinked. The females won't have a spot, the males will. You have 2 boys and 1 girl [​IMG]

5. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Ok thanks for the help. While I would love to have all hens I do think the Plymouth Rock roos are very pretty.

So sexlinked just means they are crossed? So my Buff Orpingtons mom's and RIR dad produced a SexLinked too right? Will they have a tell like the white spot?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  6. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by