Question about my peafowl.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kathydoolittle, Aug 6, 2010.

1. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    I am new to raising peafowl, and don't know alot about them. We have 2 momma's one has 2 chicks. And one has 4 chicks. We have had them for a little over a month now. My husband has started letting the one with 2 chicks out during the day (these chicks are bigger then the others). Someone told me that the peafowl will kill any babies I have (like my chicken and ducks, etc.). Should I be concerned about this? She goes back to her pen at nite an get locked back in. But I am worried about the other little ones (chicks, etc) and don't want to lose them.

2. kathydoolittle

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    Is there anyone that can answer this question?[​IMG]

3. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    HI there. First off, [​IMG]

I'm not one of the experts but I'll try to help ya out! [​IMG] If I understand your question you are concerned that the momma peahen(s) will hurt other chicks that may be around your farm (i.e.- chicks, ducklings, etc)? Is that right? If so, I've never heard of that happening but maybe someone else will weigh in for you. I would not be concerned about her around other chicks, I'd think she would be more worried about her own than to bother with others. sorry I can't be more helpful, I incubate all my eggs and keep the peachicks separate until several months old.

What kind of peafowl do you have? Did you let the mom's hatch the eggs? I bet it's really cute to see them following her! [​IMG]

4. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Can't help you, we do not let ours free range when they have chicks they are kept in there pens until the chicks are about 6 or 7 months old and can more or less fend for themselves ( fly to get away).

5. kathydoolittle

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    Thanks for the info. And believe me the little ones can fly good. I am getting ready to let the other momma out with the four babies. They will be in a run and be able to go back inside at nite. We live on a old ostrich farm so we have runs for them. Once again Thank very much.

I am so jealous of my husband though the one momma we let out now will let him pick her up.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by