Question about my peafowl

angie3881

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
35 minutes south of Kinnick
For the last week or so, my peahen and peacock have been going into the coop at night. It is chilly here in Iowa. Down to the 40's or so. They always roosted in the trees till this point. I have only had them since spring, so them going in the coop when it gets dark is new. They lay on the floor under the heat lights, but the roosts are all occupied by the chickens. Should I make them a higher roost in the coop? My coop is A frame and only about 8 feet tall at the peak in the middle.

Here are some pics of the coop-- not easy to see how tall it is- I can secure a roost up towards the ceiling somehow, but my dilemna is- should I even bother? I feel like I am robbing them of their love to roost, but they seem to love the heat lamps...

103944_2011-09-25_164240.jpg

103944_2011-09-25_125215.jpg

yes give them a higher roost , best like a 2x4 layed flat, so they can set on their toes.....the chicken roost are to small for them ,reason they are not using them.

I'd try to give them at least 2 1/2 - 3 feet from the ceiling- since the center of the ceiling is 8' have a roost 5 ' up & they should feel comfortable getting up there, because they may be stretching when they are flying up there. plus, once your male starts to grow the train give room for that from the back or front.

Back
Top Bottom