Question about my Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by t_4_turtle, Jul 11, 2011.

1. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    New to chickens and we have a roo. He is in with his ladies who are 6 weeks younger than he is. No signs of him being interested in the ladies, but I want to know about what age should I start thinking about separating them until the girls are ready. Speaking of girls being ready, at what age will the girls be ready for the roo?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    How many ladies do you have?
    The more the better for the roo.

3. t_4_turtle

Apr 19, 2011
    I have 3 pullets, 2 are 6 weeks younger then my roo and the 3rd is 8 or 9 weeks younger (we still have not put her with the others, too small still) I live in SA and we have a small backyard, we can't have the usual 7 to 10 hens per 1 rooster. We got him first and we love him. then chicken math happend and then we got the girls, so we didn't really plan this thing out the best way, but 4 months later we have a coop and 4 chickens.

4. t_4_turtle

Apr 19, 2011
    anybody know what age a rooster is ready to mate? or what age females ready to mate?

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    you will now when he starts mating.

you really need more hens for him. a rooster can easily keep 10 hen fertil. or since you cant have that many, maybe you get another roo for him.
    the hens will get riped up by him if decide to keep him with only the 3 hens if he is biger and likes to mate.
    thats why its good to have more hens.

I had one roo with 3 hens, it does NOT work. my hens became BALD by him.

I have two roosters that stay together. (no hens with them different cages)

they are buddys [​IMG]

Hope I helped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by