Question about my rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PattiS72, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PattiS72

PattiS72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    In the big coop we have the 8 smaller chickens. 7 hens and one rooster (supposed to be 2 roosters and 6 hens). The rooster attacks my legs every time I go in to feed them. My husband said it's a fighting rooster. Is there anything I can do to get him to stop? Or should I get rid of him?
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It's a form of rooster aggresivness, mine does it too. To me this looks like a wyandotte and not a gamecock those are much scrawnier than this bird. I would not keep him if you are concerned about an aggressive rooster.

3. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    He's never drawn blood, just hurts for a few seconds. I don't know if it's the colors I wear in the coop, or what. I was just wondering what others would do.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If he lived at my house, he would've already been turned into a pot of chicken-n-dumplings...

5. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    LOL My hubby and I don't really want to take the time to pluck him. :)

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you are patient with a thick skin then get a lawn chair and a book and go sit in run with him. Take some feed in with you but do not let birds see it. Then stay with him until he looses interest in attacking. Then every little bit toss a little feed about. Roosters that attack you are also a little bit afraid of you. Get him to relax. If you do not want to invest the effort, then swap him out for another that is not aggressive.

1 person likes this.
  7. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    I just posted pics of coop and chickens in the New Member forum--even though I'm not a new member.

8. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

For those birds that are going to end soup or stew, we skin ours so no feather mess to deal with.
    Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by