Question about my roosters' behaviors..

Chelsa'sChicks

Songster
Aug 16, 2017
I recently received a free Buff Orpington rooster because he was supposed to be a hen, and my rooster had died defending the ladies. My question is why I never see this rooster mating with the hens? My old rooster used to do this all the time. I'm just concerned he is too shy/submissive and friendly to the hens and I wonder if he will be able to be a good protective rooster? He does puff out his feathers and dance circles around the hens, but other then that he is extremely friendly. He is THE first of the flock to see me and come running up to me for treats (before I can even call them over) and standing at my feet. I'm assuming his age has something to do with it.. He is 5 months old now. Full grown physically, adjusted extremely well to all the hens (within 10 min when first introduced), does a scratchy puberty sounding cock-a-doodle-doo, and is just starting to grow out beautiful tail feathers. Will he eventually become more protective? I am really hoping he is still maturing, but am not 100% sure as I have never owned this breed before. He also stuffs his little face as much as the hens... roosters that I have known do not do this so they can keep a watchful eye of predators. I only saw my last rooster eat twice within a 5 month period.

Last edited:
Picture would help verify it's a HE. BO are slow maturing, he has a way more to go before reaching full maturity. I have 4 BO pullets; 1 started laying at 26wks, still waiting on the other 3 & they're going on to 29wks. I was surprised when I got my first egg, wasn't expecting any for another couple months.

Orpington are the very friendly, love the breed for their fluffiness. They tend to look bigger than they are but are bigger than some other breeds. Enjoy him & your girls.

No he's definitely 100% a rooster.. Do you have BO roosters? Do they act aggressive to protect hens at all, if you do have BO roosters? Good to know they mature slowly as I've never owned BO breeds, but other breeds.. I have read that they are very friendly, which is fine as long he can keep the hens safe also.

I limited to only 6 at my residence :( and not Roos allowed. Yup, Orpingtons are very mellow & friendly, love them. Have had Wyandottes, RIR, Australorps, EEs, Seramas, OEGB & Leghorns.....Orpingtons are my favorite followed very closely by the Wyandottes then EEs. Your guy will do his job when he's mature & enjoy him.

It's just a concern for me cause well lol its his job and we live on property with all types of predators including hawks, skunks, fox, raccoon, opossum, and coyotes. My last rooster was a BPR and he was perfect. He didn't attack me, kids or the dogs (unless the dogs ran thru the calm feeding flock of hens) only then my BPR would spar the dog to put them in their place which the dog deserved lol. I know my BO is young, but he is so darn sweet I guess I'm just not used to it. I currently have 1 RIR, 2 BPR, and 7 Australorp hens. I also bought an Australorp rooster just incase my sweet BO boy didn't make it through winter.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Give him time. Also, he might be mating when you are not around. I've never seen my rooster mate but as soon as I'm out of sight I'll hear a hen cackle in surprise. Though the true way to protect your flock from predators is proper fencing and a diligent/honest guard dog.

I also bought an Australorp rooster just incase my sweet BO boy didn't make it through winter.
Is this one also only 5 months old?
You have cockerels, just starting their sexual lives, not roosters.
The BO sounds like a 'good' one....but having 2 males may complicate things further.

Back
Top Bottom