question about my Silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suess hens, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    My Silkie at 12 weeks old is already the mama of the flock. I recently put out my 4 and 5 week old chicks and she has taken them on, kind of shown them the ropes. She even called them out when she went to free range while I was in the garden. If she is already doing this now, what does this mean in the future?

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    It means that she will most likely be a great mom, and if she is already getting very maturnal with chicks, she will probably go broody very easily so she can raise chicks of her own.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I agree, don't count on getting many eggs for her. She is going to want babies. Be glad you have her, she will end up taking anything "under her wing" and raising it. After some practice she will probably hatch anything you want her to. Be thankful!

4. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    That's so sweet!!!

5. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I have a little silkie who is about 8 weeks old who keeps sneaking into the brooder to snuggle the babies... They are all following her around the yard now... Haha! It's so cute... She's so YOUNG but I guess the mommy instinct is strong in her too!!

I'm so glad.. this is exactly why I wanted silkies!! YAY!

[​IMG]

6. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I went out tonight to close up the coop, and the three "babies" were all trying to lie under her. And she just looked as happy as can be. Well, I guess I will either have to sneak a roo in without DH knowing (blame the neighbor's roosters for the crowing) or make sure to order eggs for her every year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by