Question about my two flocks of chickens that live together -

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kelly G, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have, essentially two flocks of chickens living together peacefully.

Flock #1 is made up of birds that are 18 mos old and were raised together. It is made up of about 15 hens (no rooster), and is kind of a "sampler flock" (a couple of RIR, Barred Rocks, Orpingtons, 2 EE's, etc). I wanted to try a bunch of different breeds and see what I liked. Turns out, I like a lot of them!

Flock #2 is just under 7 months old and were also raised together (but seperate from Flock #1 - I combined them about 4 mos ago with no trouble). It is made up entirely of about 15 EE pullets and 1 cockrel.

Each flock has its own coop for sleeping/laying, but they share a run/free range during the day.

My question is: Will the rooseter "cover" both flocks? I only see him breeding with "his" girls that he was raised with. I don't see him ever approach the ladies from the other flock...not so much as a sideways glance. So far.

Is he only going to be interested in his flock? I'm going to have a REALLY low fertility rate if he tries to breed every girl in sight!

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Kelly G

I HAVE seen those - it's amazing, isn't it?

I'm DYING to hatch some chicken eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    Quote:sounds like he's too worn out from taking care of 15 ee's to take care of 15, 18 mo old ladies from next door.[​IMG]

5. gogfan

gogfan New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    well for each 12 hens you have, you need one rooster.so he might not mate with the others becuase it's to much for him.
    just some tips

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  6. Kelly G

Quote:sounds like he's too worn out from taking care of 15 ee's to take care of 15, 18 mo old ladies from next door.[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by