Question about mycoplasma gallisepticum

Duck crazed 1o1

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Hello, I have 20 Pekin duck eggs in my incubator which I got today and I'm planning on when theír older having them live with my chickens in a large coop and run. However, I just finished reading that ducks can get Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. It says turkeys and chickens when treated can still be carriers but it doesnt say if ducks can be carriers still after treatment. Do any of you know from past experience, if ducks affected by this illness will be carriers for life? The reason I'm asking is because there are LOTS of wild birds in my area and Im quite worried.

I don't know about that, but I did want to check in and welcome you to the forum. We have many wild birds near us, and so far that has not turned up to be a problem. I have taken ducks in for exams when they don't seem to feel well, and M. gallisepticum has not come up as a topic with the vet.

Also called Chronic Respiratory Disease, it is highly contagious and can be passed to offsping via eggs. Ducks that recover can be carriers for life.

Per Storey's Guide:
CRD is caused by the highly contagious microorganism Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG). CRD outbreaks are most common after birds have undergone stress due to being shipped, moving to new pens, sudden feed changes, onset of egg production, drastic weather changes, diet , and such.
Pens and cages that have housed infected birds should be thoroughly disinfected prior to reuse.

Do you own any birds that have been diagnosed with CRD? Did you get the eggs from a flock that has had CRD?

Wild birds can carry alot of things that can affect a backyard flock (pests, diseases etc) I don't know that I would be that concerned about this though. From my reading, NPIP has done alot to ensure the disease is not in hatcheries and large producers. So buying from reputable NPIP certified stock would be best.

Thank you for the replies. I, from what I know of, dont have any that are infected. I have heard of the NPIP but not in Canada where I live. This illness sounds very scary to me ánd are people breeding for CRD immune birds? I would be interested in buying from breeders who do that. If there arent any; would anybody'know how you would you start?

There are vaccines available (at least in the States) but they are in the form of mists and the equipment is very expensive. Blood tests can be done to ensure a flock is disease free. You would need to ensure that your birds are disease free and that any flock that you purchase from is also. I'm sure that you have large hatcheries up there too. You could contact them to see if they test/vaccinate. Try this for some info http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm
Here's NPIP info http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/
NPIP is government run but I would think that you would be able to start a voluntary group if you get in touch with reputable breeders and organizations. Sorry I'm not too familiar with what groups you have available in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom