Question about nest boxes

TheresaV

Chirping
Nov 23, 2020
Northeastern Washington State
I just built my new set of nest boxes. They are 2 boxes high and 4 wide. I put a perch in front of the second level to help the hens get in easier. I also tilted the top so they can't land up there.

I plan to raise the boxes off the floor but I'd like to keep them as low as possible. So how high up do the bottom boxes need to be? They will be fastened to the wall and have bricks or cinder blocks underneath for extra stability.

I just built my new set of nest boxes. They are 2 boxes high and 4 wide. I put a perch in front of the second level to help the hens get in easier. I also tilted the top so they can't land up there.

I plan to raise the boxes off the floor but I'd like to keep them as low as possible. So how high up do the bottom boxes need to be? They will be fastened to the wall and have bricks or cinder blocks underneath for extra stability.
Pictures would help😁how many chickens do you have?

So how high up do the bottom boxes need to be?
Whatever makes you happiest.

Just make sure that the top nestbox is lower than the lowest perch.

Other than that, it REALLY doesn't matter, except for your back (if you have to bend much), or if you like the way it looks

Whatever makes you happiest.

Just make sure that the top nestbox is lower than the lowest perch.

Other than that, it REALLY doesn't matter, except for your back (if you have to bend much), or if you like the way it looks
Thanks so much! I plan to put them just a few inches above the floor. I am waiting until my hubby has time to help me position them and after that I will post a picture. :)

My nest box is just a few inches above the floor on my coop, chicken uses it fine, but I also have a raised coop.

First figure out where the coop floor will be with bedding in there. Make sure your roosts are higher than any where you don't want them to sleep, like your top nests.

Position the nests where you want. Some people like them pretty much at floor level, but you don't want them scratching trash into the nests. Depending on how they are made can have an effect, how high is the lip on your nests? Some like them high enough they don't have to bend to gather eggs. Suit yourself, you'll find that it's more important to you than it is to the chickens.

Some other considerations. I let my broody hens hatch in the nests, including the nests 4' above the coop floor. That height is not a concern for me for a broody hen to hatch and manage her chicks but some people get really concerned if a broody is hatching in a nest not right on the floor.

My chickens scratch in the area of the feeder a lot, looking for spilled feed. One of the directions they scratch the bedding is toward my nests. Sometimes that bedding can be 4" to 6" higher under my nests than other times, depending on how long it's been since I raked it level. The area around the feeder can be down to the dirt. When you are trying to determine where the coop floor will be with bedding, it may not be consistently at the same level. With 24 chickens I assume you have a pretty good sized coop.

I integrate young chicks regularly. My lower nests are fairly close to the ground. Under those nests is a good place for younger chicks to hide from the older ones when they don't want to be seen. I think that helps with integration.

If you have chickens that can't fly, like Silkies, a low nest could be a good thing.

There aren't a lot of hard and fast rules about this. I find that people care about this more than the chickens do. Your comfort and convenience is important, do think of yourself.

Chickens by nature will lay on the floor and be happy. Far more important to keep the upper boxes lower than the perches or they will see them as new perches.

My nest boxes are 2 feet off the ground. I aint getting any younger and bending over doesn't agree with my back and knee.

Thanks for the replies! It was so helpful. We put the boxes on top of a couple of short cinder blocks and also screwed them to the wall. The lower edge of the opening on the lower boxes is about 8 inches above the floor.

The next challenge will be getting the hens to switch over. I need to remove the old boxes, which are in a different part of the coop and then keep the chickens confined to their yard and house every morning till they get the hang of it.

The old boxes were built many years ago and they are a little cramped.

This was usually not a problem, but one chicken was not bothering to turn around after entering the box head first. She would leave her butt hanging out of the box and lay her egg over the void. This sometimes resulted in broken eggs- I'm thinking she probably jumped down on top of them sometimes. (See third picture below.)

I made the new boxes generous sized so she won't have any excuse in future.

These boxes are not fancy looking- I made them entirely out of wood scraps I found around the farm and I'm a novice at woodworking. (Hubby did lend a hand.)

I'm happy there ended up being a little space at the end of the boxes where I can add another nest box directly on the floor and build a little broody pen in front of it. I have 2 hens who are broody right now. I probably will let one of them hatch a few eggs.
BB920606-3303-40D6-B10A-8F6CFA892313.jpeg
C084175F-EEB1-4D18-AA58-58322F23FD6D.jpeg
CCFB7590-A044-4A99-ADF0-8DAF1495986B.jpeg

Last edited:
These boxes are not fancy looking- I made them entirely out of wood scraps I found around the farm and I'm a novice at woodworking. (Hubby did lend a hand.)

Aww, they look great, and I like the height on the lowest ones since the girls can pretty much walk right in, but there's still clearance for bedding.

Back
Top Bottom