question about nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dee88, Jun 26, 2010.

1. dee88

dee88 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I'm new to this and so "eggscited" about my 5 new chickies. My hubby built a chicken coop and run and the chicks are about 2 1/2 mos. old. They seem to like their new home. The question I have about my new hens is this: My husband built a shelf about 5 feet off of the ground inside the chicken house and instead of putting wood dividers and normal nesting boxes I just went to the Dollar General store and bought 5 plastic containers and put hay inside of each box and put them on the shelf. I thought they would be easy to clean by just replacing the hay as needed. What do you all think about that? Should be put dividers? The henhouse is closed off at night. Any feedback would be much appreciated![​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

For five hens, you would only need two nest boxes really, but many folks have used plastic tubs, so they should be fine. Something to think about though is that if they are just sitting on a shelf, and the shelf has no lip, then they could get knocked off or tipped over when if a chicken stood on the ledge of one. Another thing to consider would be how "secluded" they appear. Many hens like an area that is kind of like a hidy-hole, a bit private. So if there's no top (even if the top is the ceiling of the coop close by), then it may cause problems...although they may be fine with it. I'm sure your chickens will let you know whether they're too open or not once they start laying. If you find eggs in nests down below, they may be too open...

3. dee88

dee88 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to learn that 5 hens will only use probably 2 of the containers. We plan to get more hens so now I know I won't need more containers. Thanks! I guess I'll try this out and see if they lay eggs for me. Aren't they about 5-6 mos. old when they start laying? Will they lay in the winter since that's when they will be old enough to lay or will they wait till next spring?

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    what kind are they?? the plastic tubs are fine as long as they can get in and out with east...in two hen houses I have actual nesting boxes built in, and in one I have plastic milk crates, and in one I have the dresser drawers from an old dresser I was about to throw away with boards nailed up in front.

5. dee88

dee88 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    you asked "What kind are they"? are you talking about the containers or the chickens? The containers are about 5" deep so the chickens will be able to jump in them very easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by