Question about nesting habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeepMomma, Apr 13, 2009.

1. PeepMomma

PeepMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Edmonson Co. Kentucky
    Ok, admittedly, I am very new to raising chickens, so I can honestly say that I am lost. We built 8 nesting boxes for our Bantams. We put straw in everyone of them, not too much or too little we hope. The hens are using the boxes so we are happy about that! Here is the question, why will they move all of the straw from one box to another? Some of them continue to lay in the boxes that have been emptied, and they also lay in the remaining 4 boxes that haven't been disturbed. They also lay in the box that they moved all the straw to. Does anyone know what is going on?

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    It's normal my chickens do that too. They will move the straw in and out of the boxes and sometimes lay in the bare boxes.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had a hen determined to move a whole pile of hay from the nesting box in the coop to a place she liked better outside. Some hens are just picky that way.
    Pack the hay in real good and tight and if that doesn't stop their re-arranging, you could try cutting a square of carpet or other such material to cushion the bottom of the nests.

4. PeepMomma

PeepMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Edmonson Co. Kentucky
    Thanks, it had me sort of worried that I was doing something wrong. The carpet on the bottom is a great idea! I am going to try that! I guess as long as they are determined to rearrange then I will keep giving them straw to rearrange with!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by