Question about Niacin and/or Brewers Yeast for Ducks

Pics

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
Do adult ducks need supplemental niacin or brewers yeast or is it just required for ducklings? I currently sprinkle a little brewers yeast on my ducks food a couple of times a week but I'm not sure if it is really necessary.

I bought some niacin, 100 mg tablets but haven't used it yet - what is the dosage per gal of water? Knowing that I only have to do it once a week is helpful.

Thx

I can state from experience they do need it. I had a very hard time with my welsh harlequins and calls being niacin deficient. I went to a health food store and sprinkled it on there food. Really cheap, also did some in the water. Good luck.

I just started raising a few ducks and was wondering if this Would work if I cut it into 4ths? this is all I could find.
47039_unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
oh, Pleading stupidity here. I don't supplement my birds with Niacin, or brewers yeast. What does this do for them?

Brewers yeast, do you have to give this to ducklings? If so, how much, how often?

My ducks free range on nice days and seem healthy, how do you know if Niacin deficient, or do you just need to give anyways?

Learn something new everyday, this is good.

I'm pretty new to ducks so hopefully someone else will answer these questions. I read somewhere that ducks have a higher niacin requirement than chickens and need supplemental niacin or brewers yeast. I have just been sprinkling about a TBLS of the brewers yeast in with their feed a couple of times a week. I think I also read that if they had a deficiency they could have difficulty walking???? I would imagine free range ducks are probably getting the proper diet, especially if they seem healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom