Question about Niacin and/or Brewers Yeast for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donnavee, Feb 24, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Songster

May 7, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    Do adult ducks need supplemental niacin or brewers yeast or is it just required for ducklings? I currently sprinkle a little brewers yeast on my ducks food a couple of times a week but I'm not sure if it is really necessary.

GratitudeGates likes this.
  2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    Yes, they do need it. Once every two week should be fine. I give mine niacin once per week, because I'm selling hatching eggs.

GratitudeGates and MelissaZeno like this.
  3. donnavee

donnavee Songster

May 7, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    I bought some niacin, 100 mg tablets but haven't used it yet - what is the dosage per gal of water? Knowing that I only have to do it once a week is helpful.

Thx

4. ruralmom

ruralmom Songster

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    I can state from experience they do need it. I had a very hard time with my welsh harlequins and calls being niacin deficient. I went to a health food store and sprinkled it on there food. Really cheap, also did some in the water. Good luck.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    It's 100mg per 1 gallon of water. Watch out to get the regular niacin, because the other one (inositol hexanicotinate) wont work. The one called flush free or no flush is the one you do not want.

1 person likes this.
  6. donnavee

donnavee Songster

May 7, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    Great, I got the regular kind - Puritan's Pride had a special BOGO deal so I stocked up. Great info.

7. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Songster

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I just started raising a few ducks and was wondering if this Would work if I cut it into 4ths? this is all I could find.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  8. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    oh, Pleading stupidity here. I don't supplement my birds with Niacin, or brewers yeast. What does this do for them?

Brewers yeast, do you have to give this to ducklings? If so, how much, how often?

My ducks free range on nice days and seem healthy, how do you know if Niacin deficient, or do you just need to give anyways?

Learn something new everyday, this is good.

9. donnavee

donnavee Songster

May 7, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    I'm pretty new to ducks so hopefully someone else will answer these questions. I read somewhere that ducks have a higher niacin requirement than chickens and need supplemental niacin or brewers yeast. I have just been sprinkling about a TBLS of the brewers yeast in with their feed a couple of times a week. I think I also read that if they had a deficiency they could have difficulty walking???? I would imagine free range ducks are probably getting the proper diet, especially if they seem healthy and happy.

10. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: