1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about nightly temps for 5 week old chicks Florida?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maureen73, Feb 14, 2009.

1. maureen73

maureen73 New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    Hello,

We recently put our 5 1/2 week old chicks outside during the day in their coop and my husband thinks that it is warm enough for them to stay outside through the night but I disagree. So I need an expert opinion. The chicks are fully feathered (we have 4). In Florida at night it has been around 62 degrees. The coop has a covered box with straw in it. Thanks for any advice.

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I would think a heat lamp would be good insurance. good luck

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    60 degrees at that age is a little iffy still, I would at least put a light so a little heat would be generated. Or you may go outside at about 10 PM and take a look to see if there are piled on each other trying to keep warm, that would really tell you.

4. JandJRanch

JandJRanch New Egg

Jan 27, 2009
    Where do are you in Fla.?
    We are in Lake Worth.
    We have 10 day old chics. I think
    you should put a lamp in with them, the tale tell sign is
    if they migrate to the heat, then they need it. The draft is what is going to get to them. So, if you trust having a heat lamp in the coop, that is what I would recommend.
    WE are going to make a "teenager" coop for the babies when
    they are of age, and I will have a lampf for them in the coop.
    It will be postioned under the shelf where my older chickens boxes are and they will be able to access the heat or go to the other end of the cage if they don't want the heat.
    J:cool:

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Depends on where you are in FL. If it's really only in the 60s at night they should be fine. It's still been in the 30s here though so mine still have their heat lamp.

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    wow, I have a 2 week old that was running around happy as a lark with mama at 40 degrees. But then again, she was acclimated since day 1. I think the key is acclimation. If the chicks have been kept at a warmer temp inside, then you need to bridge the gap slowly. Use a heat lamp to provide them with an area of warmth if necessary, if they need it they will use it otherwise they will huddle together to create the necessary warmth. By 5.5 weeks they should be fine in 62 degrees, but provide them with the heat lamp just in case.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm in Palm Beach County and to me the issue for chicks at night isn't the temperature but the predators. I've lost chicks to snakes, opossums, & raccoons at night. Even when the chicks are big & chunky they've still been killed by snakes, who then find them too large to swallow. Which really makes me mad! [​IMG]

So I always bring them in, in a box or pet carrier or rabbit cage, up at least to the patio if not indoors. Until they're maybe about 10 weeks old or so -- or until we all get tired of the chore.

Chicks being raised by a Mama hen are a different matter, even if the temps are cold they will stay warm enough under her wings.

So do whatever you & your family feels necessary. I agree that the best indicator is to see how the chicks are acting at night, if they're huddled, shivering & cheeping, or remaining calm. They will all sleep in a pig pile anyway, they won't go to roost until maybe 10-12 weeks or so.

8. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    My 6 week olds just spent their first night in the coop. They are feathered out and did just fine. It's around 60 degrees here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by