question about odd pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by debbyluvschickens, May 29, 2008.

1. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Sorry, didnt know how to word it short enough for the title. One of my eggs pipped about half way down the egg, and is now breahing the shell lengthwise down the shell instead of around the egg. Is this okay?

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    yup yup it's fine.. all chicks don't hatch out the same way.. one of my chicks pip out a hole and somehow got through it and i had a whole empty egg wit just a small hole in it..lol.. so it should be fine

Good Luck On Your Hatch! [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    One of mine piped a little more than half way down and it made it just fine, though it was first to pip and almost last to hatch. [​IMG]

4. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I havent been opening the bator, but the weird one looked like the "lining" or whatever is drying out, I just keep the water things full, and have no way to measure the humidity, but I put 2 medicine cups of water in, and put a tiny bit of warm water on the "lining". Anything else I should do, or should this fix the dryness?

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    maybe put a damp cloth or sponge in. It's really hard when you don't have a way of measuring humidity. I would maybe bring it up til I started getting condensation on the plastic viewing windows then open the plugs on top of the incubator (provided you have them). If you are planing on hatching again invest in a hydrometer I got a digital one at walmart for under 20 bucks. It's really worth it.

6. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Okay, put in 2 sponges and another medicine cup, and put the plugs back in, the instructions with my bator said to leave 1 open during the whole hatch if the bator is full, and open the other on day 18, so thats what I did, but I put them back in now.

7. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    WOW, just went back in there to look at the drying out egg, and had a little black chick with a topknot and feathers down its feet (from another egg). That was fast!!

8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Great JOB!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My little Serama zipped out like that yesterday and she was VERY fast too. She is perfect though [​IMG] Well, I won't know if she is a she for a few weeks yet but I don't care if she is a he or a she...I will keep her/him.

10. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I have no clue what any of these are, they are all "designers" that I bought, but what a cutie!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by