Question about olive egger roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cutecowgirl084, Nov 7, 2016.

1. cutecowgirl084

cutecowgirl084 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Inland empire
    Ok I hatched out some olive eggers recently. What can be done with the olive egger roosters that are sure to result from this batch? If bred to an olive egger hen will they continue to produce olive egger offspring? So would it make sense to offer for free with a pullet? I don't want to give any wrong info to people who would be interested in buying. So I want to make sure, in my mind that should work but I want to make sure. Thanks

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Not sure, I just have an olive egger pullet. That was kinda just to subscribe because I would like to know the answer to your question.

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Here is what I have been told. I kept the olive egger pullets and rehomed the cockerels so if anyone has a better answer I would be interested in knowing the answer.
    Suppose you have an OE rooster (Mine were Ameraucana X Black copper marans.)
    If he were bred to a dark egg layer you could get dark eggs or dark olive eggs. The hue on the olive eggs would depend on the color of the eggs the hen laid.)
    Bred to a blue egg layer you would get olive eggs or blue eggs
    Bred to another olive eggers you could get olive eggs (50%0 blue eggs (25%) and brown eggs (25%)
    Of course practice might be different than theory. I almost kept a beautiful OE cockerel. Had a really nice temperament but was a little rough with the younger girls. Of course he himself was young but I let him go in favor of keeping a nice Ameraucana cockerel as my back up. The younger girls seem to like him a little better so I let them make the choice.

4. cutecowgirl084

cutecowgirl084 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Inland empire
    Interesting!! I would be curious to hear if anyone else has heard of that too??? Not an option I thought of that it would result in a variety of olive blue and brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by