Question about ordering chicks

nathana1984

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 31, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
So ive been trying to find this answer here and after goin through too many threads to be healthy i still havent found it.

My question is when it comes to ordering chicks. The options are males, females, and straight runs (hopefully got that right). But if its hard to tell chicks sex how do companies sell chicks as female or male? How do they know which is which if u have to wait for a few weeks to figure it out?

Sorry if this is noob question just cant seem to find the answer. But cant have roosters and want to order females but dont want to if its a crapshoot

Last edited:
They do something called vent sexing. They peer into the chicks vent, If there is a little bump, its a male, no bump, female. They can also feather sex, witch I dot know much about. Or they also have sex-link chicks.

They do something called vent sexing. They peer into the chicks vent, If there is a little bump, its a male, no bump, female. They can also feather sex, witch I dot know much about. Or they also have sex-link chicks.

Thanks for quick and knowledgable answer. So would it be safe to say that if i ordered female they would most likely be females ?

Hatcheries have a disclaimer that they are 90% accurate in vent sexing chicks. They are actually much better than that but keep that safe number in the off chance someone gets a male in 10 chicks ordered.

you know, even if they are 98% accurate those two roosters in one hundred end up somewhere.

If you absolutely can NOT have roosters and don't have the heart to eat or give away a roo, there is always the option of sex links. Guaranteed to be females and no worries or what to do with a male.

I am no expert, but from what I have read, yes, you would be safe buying a female from a hatchery. Also, I believe hatcheries have experts who really know how to sex.
I personally bought from a local breeder who could not determine the sex in the breeds I picked and I knew that I was taking the risk.

I think it is safe to buy females from a hatchery who are selling 'females'. You could probably call the company to ask them too.

Thanks everyone.

This forum is awesome. Ive asked a few noobish questions and every question ive asked was met with knowledge and respect. Thanks again

This site really is wonderful! I bought six chicks and when I couldn't tell their sex, I posted lots of pics and all these smart chicken lovers helped me. Welcome! I'm pretty new too.

I've ordered twice from hatcheries and they've been spot on, probably a total of about 15 chicks altogether. Which breeds are you looking at? Tractor supply sells sex links, which are pretty much 100% guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom