Question about ordering f (from McMurray)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kerilou, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Kerilou

Kerilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    We are going to do our first chick order this year. It has come to my attention cruising around the forums here, that if you don't get a jump on your order, you don't get what you want...
    I visited the site, and I have my catalog, but ordering where I live to early results in frozen babies. In fact my brother told me to wait until late April. I am up on the Canadian border of NY.
    On Mc's site, it shows availablilty of the breeds I am looking for, but only for 5 weeks up until March 1. Will they keep updating the availability as the weeks go by? I want to order them ASAP! If this is the case, I will probably not be able to order for late April delivery until mid March??
    I am wanting some Light Brahmas, Americanas, Black Australorps, and Dominiques...
    Thanks, everyone!~!

2. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    Yes, they will update. Some breeds will be available at different times - some early then again in a few months but the rare and more exotic will be sold out quickly.

I would not worry about where you live as long as you have your babies under a heat lamp in a draft free area with fresh water and food at all times. Murray McMurray also sells supplements for day olds that help them get a good start - check out on the order form. This time of year if you order 25 you will probably get quite a few more with the order to keep all the chicks warm during shipping.

Good luck!

3. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    I guess I am more worried about them freezing on the way here. My brother has had it happen here. I can keep them warm in the house if need be, if I can just get them here. Apparently, it can get pretty cold on the mail truck?
    Thanks for the advice, Turner!

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've ordered for the first dates in February before and never lost a chick to freezing. I live at 6800 feet in Colorado. Last time I did that I ordered 25 and they send something over 30 just to make sure all the babies stayed warm....unless they just had a lot of chicks who had to home yet and they decided to send them all to me.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    It is easier to raise chicks farther into Spring. McMurray will continue to update. I bet if you called, you could set up an April delivery, especially if you are not after some rare breed.

6. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    Thanks for all the tips!! They are appreciated. It is nice to feel so welcome, and to NOT be made to feel dumb, as the beginner that I am!!

Keri

7. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I ordered my first from MM last year. I just called with questions as my DH was out of town. They told me I could set the date I wanted them to be delivered/mailed. (I picked them up) So, I ordered in February and set the date for the end of May. I had no problems. Every one was healthy and I didn't lose one! Go ahead and order anytime and tell them when you want them. They understand cold weather and will work with you.

8. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Give them a call, and they'll work with you. We like to call in our order, so we can talk with the sales person. In fact we're calling tomorrow to place our order for mid Feb. The breeds that you want to order are common, so you shouldn't have problems getting them if you order a month or so ahead of when you want them.

9. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    i to live on the canadian border just 2 miles away and i ordered 2 times last year and none froze

10. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    Thanks for all the great advice. When I am ready, I will give them a call.

Riley-you are in Mooers? I am in Ellenburg Depot! We technically in the town of Mooers, though. My parents live in Mooers!!

Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by