1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about organic feed..... Please help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dandydoodle, Nov 3, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Where do you get organic feed. I have been looking and I found to different places so far. One charges 50 bucks for a 50 pound bag and the other 43. That is steep but, I want to buy organic does anyone know of someone who sells it at a more realistic price? If you don't know someone who sells organic for cheaper does anyone know of a place that sells it unmedicated and without hormones and chemicals? Thanks so much in advance for the help. Oh yeah, and if it matters I live in Georgia.

Thanks,
    Michelle [​IMG]

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Have you thought about making your own? I don't know your situation but I am working on making my own, organic duck/chicken/cat/goat feeds. If handled right, it should not cost an arm and a leg to accomplish.

Over time--I am taking it slowly as getting started from scratch can be a bit expensive.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How would you do that? I think I might be worried that I wouldn't give them all the vitamins and minerals they need.

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know where I could buy some a little less expensive?

5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Quote:Where in Georgia? It is a big state.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am in North West Georgia. I don't think it matters though because, more the likely I will have to have it shipped. Do you know of some place?

Quote:Where in Georgia? It is a big state.

7. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Countryside has organic, soy-free feed. To buy directly from them is really expensive, but they have a list on their site of people that buy in bulk and are willing to resell. I can give you the contact person here in East Tennessee, if that helps. Or you can check here .

8. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well Countryside ships for cheaper than $50 but if you get a pallet, around here we have a co-op that we pool our order together it comes out to 21.50 for layer and 3.75 / bag for shipping (50 lb. bags).
    A pallet is about 42 to 44 bags. But we have 5-8 people we split that up with and you can get scratch there too. I was wondering cause I'm in North Florida and you could get with our coop but NW georgia just isn't close.

9. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    If you live near Pittsburgh you can buy Organic Chicken Feed at Glenshaw Feed and Garden Center.

Currently they sell Natures Best Organic Layer Pellets, and Natures Best Organic grower/developer.

They even have chicken toys,feed grade DE, and freeze dried meal worms.

10. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Guntersville and Atlanta have stores that carry it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by