Question about our hens this winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newbiechicken, Dec 7, 2008.

1. newbiechicken

newbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Nebraska
    Okay, this August I got four brown Leghorn hens that were supposedly one year old, from the spring of 2007. They took about three weeks and then we started getting 1-2 eggs a day, about five days a week.

Around the middle of October, they stopped completely. Not one egg since then.

We feed them 16% layer feed, oyster shell calcium, black oil sunflower seeds, and occasional leftovers. They have a pen and small coop. They are locked in the coop at night and in the pen during the day. They "free range" about 1-2 days a week, depending on our schedule and the weather. I have looked in all of their hiding places and no eggs.

I'm not interested in putting up a light, etc., to get them to lay now. Of course, I'd rather have their eggs than store eggs, but I figure that's life. My question is: Is there ANY chance they'll start laying again in the spring? Or should I consider that I bought old hens or dud hens and they'll never lay again?

Oh, and we have a rooster. He's a turken rooster that doesn't seem to understand his purpose - we've never seen him "physical" with any of the hens and he kind of does his own thing when they're out to free range.

Thank you!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I suppose without light, all you can do is wait until March or April when they are getting sufficient light again. Then you'll know. Or you could put a small light in their coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by