Question about over winter Straw and Care.

hannahwakeup

Hatching
Aug 12, 2016
Hello, I live in Northern MN. It can get down to 40 below, This will be my 1st year Keeping Runners, and plan on Geese in spring We have decided to use a mix of straw, and Wood shavings inside of coop, for floor. We have a 10x8 coop, I'm having more pit run brought out to put in and around area because our yard becomes a Clay mess in spring and want to keep as dry as possible in, and close to coop. Don't think deep litter method Will work for us. I have found many on the web that talk about using straw, pros/cons but no one has said "How much" they go through. I want to load up for winter while we can, as we live far out, and need to get it while price is down. It will be stored in dry building. I plan to clean out coop reg. and keep close eye on moisture. Anyone Here Raise Ducks, Geese in Cold Climate, Any suggestions, on this, to heat or not to, (We planned to try a heat panel, and heated water bucket) would be greatly appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif

I use a mix of straw and pine shavings in winter but I use the deep litter method so I don't actually go through a lot. I also prefer to use more pine shavings since they break down faster. A bale of straw lasted over a year for me, so I can't really help in figuring out how much you need. I'd say get as much as can fit in your storage area. As long as it doesn't get wet it will last a long time.

You'll definitely want to get a heated dog bowl or bucket so they can clean out their nares and eyes. Most times ducks don't need coop heating. It is actually safer and better not to have it. Safer for fire issues. Better because it allows them to better acclimate to the cold temperatures. However, runners can be a little different. You may need to provide heat for them. I'd say wait and see how they react.

welcome-byc.gif

I use a mix of straw and pine shavings in winter but I use the deep litter method so I don't actually go through a lot. I also prefer to use more pine shavings since they break down faster. A bale of straw lasted over a year for me, so I can't really help in figuring out how much you need. I'd say get as much as can fit in your storage area. As long as it doesn't get wet it will last a long time.

You'll definitely want to get a heated dog bowl or bucket so they can clean out their nares and eyes. Most times ducks don't need coop heating. It is actually safer and better not to have it. Safer for fire issues. Better because it allows them to better acclimate to the cold temperatures. However, runners can be a little different. You may need to provide heat for them. I'd say wait and see how they react.
Do you keep your waterers inside? 'Coz I'd think the deep litter would get to wet. I'm just wondering because I would like to do deep litter this year and apparently it can't be to wet or dry or this or that...

Last edited:
I don't have any food or water in the coop. I actually have to add water to my deep litter because it's pretty dry where I live. I normally dump water from their bowl or use a little from their pool. Once you get the process started deep litter is real easy. It's even easier if you have chickens to turn it for you.

Thank You For any Input
frow.gif
I was still feeling ify on the heat thing, I know they don't have as much Fat on them as other Ducks. So I'll get it ready just incase they look like they are having a hard go. I had planned to feed them reg, food in morning, and warm oatmeal before cooping them up for night. Not sure how the coup thing is going to work out, making a small screened in "outside" area, so they can safely get to water at night. This may be silly but not sure if they would use a doggy door during the day if they wanted to get into coop, as I don't want to leave the big door open incase they need to get in for warmth. During the Day they would have rest of yard to mosey around in. I also found condensation dripping from roof so thinking that needs to be insulated. SOOO much to learn but common sense will hopefully kick in :)

Back
Top Bottom